Prologue

Izuku Midoriya was a very special boy, according to his mother. His hair always seemed to defy gravity, and he never seemed to get sick when he was out in the rain. While most kids his age despised the idea of a rainy or cloudy day, Izuku always loved them, and not even Inko knew why.

When Izuku had been left behind by the rest of his class, they had gone to a doctor's appointment. He was six by then, and every single kid in his class already had their quirks; supernatural abilities that had soon become normal with each passing generation. He was the only one who hadn't shown a sign of a quirk appearing. Even the grade below him had a class full of gifted students.

He hadn't been paying attention to the appointment, although he was shifting in his seat, waiting to know what his quirk could and most likely would be. Nausea be damned! He rocked back and forth with his hero notebook and pen in hand. He was used to it by now.
He was told he'd get a quirk.
And so he waited.
Izuku waited, waited, and waited for so long, he was starting to lose hope. He was already two years behind by then. It just didnt make sense that he could be so late to the party. So instead he had turned to martial arts.
He had been given the small bo staff left in his mum's room and got to it.

"Midoriya! Matsuda!" Izuku jumped, looking over at his sensei for a split second. "Start!" He was up against one of his Senpais, and boy was the eight-year-old scared. Last time he and his staff were pummelled.
The boy in front of him was already charging forward, though charging wasn't the best description. The boy had a quarterstaff, which meant he had a longer-distance hit than the smaller. With both being rather young, their weapons would barely hurt or break any bones unless one of them packed a hit.

It went per usual, with Izuku struggling to get close enough as he spun his staff in his hands. As he approached the end of the ring, he felt his breakfast make its return up in his throat. His senpai was strong, and very talented- though it may just be his quirk. If he could remember it right, it was intelligence boosting. He could pick up on things easier than other kids.
Izuku flinched as the long quarterstaff approached his face- though probably accidentally due to their height difference. He squeaked, bringing his arms up to protect his poor face from its harsh wood...

But it never came.

Floating right in front of his face, there was a dense yet fluffy looking... Material? Right where the staff had hit.
It was silent, and he finally felt himself fall back with illness bubbling in his stomach.
God, he had felt so sick.