Chapter 7. the long journey

Night paw stretched and rose to his paws. Zara was sleeping on her back. Her snores were loud. Night paw rolled his eyes as he climbed out of the den and onto the sand. It was quiet, very quiet. Some pack members were up but not all. Zara yawned and sat beside night paw. "Morning" she said as she stretched. "Morning" night paw said back. "The journey starts today" night paw announced. The pack was all up now and ready for the long journey.

"Everyone follow me" night paw yowled. The pack began following after him as they trotted through the hot desert. Toxic, scar and maple paw lacked behind. They talked with each other. "I don't know if she will make it" toxic whispered to Scar. "She will, just have confidence" scar whispered back as he looked forward. Toxic believed him and hoped he was right. The wind picked up and pushed the pack faster. It came out of nowhere. Night paw smiled. "Dad we are fine" night paw laughed as he talked to the wind. The wind stopped softly. Night paw smiled as he knew it was dark knights spirit helping them along. Zara looked at him with confusion. She laughed.

God wolf ran up to the front with Night paw and puffed out his chest to seem bigger. "Big brother one day I'll take your place!" God wolf said as she smirked. Night paw laughed. "You wish" night paw said as he rolled his eyes at him jokingly. God wolf frowned but he knew his day would come. God wolf fell back and walked with Hawk instead. Hawk got annoyed by him a lot but bit his tongue. The pack walked and walked and walked. Soon they came to a river with a log over it. "Careful, the water is rapid" Night paw said as he stopped. "Only some can go at once" Night paw said as he looked back at the pack.

Scar fell behind all of the pack and let maple paw and toxic pass him. The wolves gently passed the log. Some of them tripped but none fell in. Scar came and stepped forward to the log. The log cracked and he stood still. "RUN TOXIC!" Scar yelled at him. Toxic pushed maple paw onto the land and he jumped with her. CRACK! The log snapped in half and Scar fell in. "NO!" Toxic yelled as he jumped to the edge of the river. "Toxic no!" Maple paw yelled. She stood there and watched as she was too weak. Night paw rushed to the river as quickly as he could. Scar fought against the rushing water but the water pulled him under.

Toxic ran chasing him as the river pulled him downstream. "TOXIC SAVE YOURSELF!" Scar screamed as he was pulled under again. Toxic jumped in and fought the rough current. The wind picked up again and night paw realized. "SCAR GRAB MY PAW!" Toxic yelled as he reached out his paw to Scar. Scar fought the current as he struggled to grab toxics paw. Toxic hit a smooth rock and the wind carried him onto land again. He landed hard but he didn't suffer any injuries. Night paw jumped to the edge and grabbed Scar by the neck. He pulled him up and laid him on the ground. Scar didn't move. He coughed up some water and looked at Toxic. "I'm sorry, but I can't finish this journey with you Toxic" scar said, his voice all raspy. "No you have to! Get up!" Toxic yelled at him. "Scar? SCAR?" Toxic yelled and pushed against Scars shoulder.

"No! No!" Toxic yelled as tears began streaming down his face. "Not Scar too!" Toxic said as he cried into Scars wet fur. Zara ran over to them. "Oh my god" she said as she looked at Scars limp body. Toxic ran off and caught up with maple paw. Night paw had a tear run down his face but he quickly wiped it. "He was brave" Night paw said as he turned around. Zara frowned and followed after him.