Chapter Eleven: Norbert the Norwegian Ridgeback

For the past few days, they kept listening into Fluffy's room to see if he was still there. Maxine wanted to go in and pet him, but Hermione had to drag her away before she would actually do that.

Maxine would help Hermione draw up study schedules and color-code their notes, all while the brown-eyed girl would nag the boys to do the same.

"Hermione, the exams are ages away. Maxine, help us out." Ron pleaded. However, Maxine was too busy sketching a centaur to notice the bickering.

"Ten weeks. That's not ages, that's like a second to Nicolas Flamel." Hermione snapped as she closed Maxine's sketch notebook, causing the heterochromatic-eyed girl to groan.

"But we're not six hundred years old," Ron reminded her. "Anyway, what are you studying for, you already know it all."

"What am I studying for? Are you crazy? You realize we need to pass these exams to get into the second year? They're very important, I should have started studying a month ago, I don't know what's gotten into me."

"You've been hanging out with us, that's why you are 'behind' in your studying," Maxine said as she raised her hand, forming air quotes with her fingers as she emphasized the word 'behind.'

They had been given so much homework to do that the Easter holidays weren't nearly as much fun. Hermione had been trying to help them out and reciting the twelve uses of dragon's blood or practicing wand movements. They had spent all of their free time in the library trying to get through all their extra work.

"I'll never remember this," Ron said frustrated, throwing down his quill looking outside the library window as if he had been trapped inside the library for ages.

"Hagrid! What are you doing in the library?" Harry said looking up from his book.

Hagrid shuffled into view, "Jus' lookin'," he said, in a shifty voice. "An' what're you lot up ter? Yer not still lookin' fer Nicolas Flamel, are yeh?"

"Oh, we found out who he is ages ago," said Maxine proudly.

Ron nodded saying, "And we know what that dog's guarding, it's a Sorcerer's St -"

"Shhhh!" Hagrid looked around to see if anyone was listening. "Don' go shoutin' about it, what's the matter with yeh?"

"There are a few things we wanted to ask you, as a matter of fact," said Harry, "about what's guarding the Stone apart from Fluffy -"

"SHHHH! Listen - come an' see me later, I'm not promisin' I'll tell yeh anythin', mind, but don' go rabbitin' about it in here, students aren' s'pposed ter know. They'll think I've told yeh -" said Hagrid.

"See you later, then," said Harry.

Hagrid shuffled off.

"Well, he wasn't suspicious at all hiding something behind his back," Maxine said sarcastically.

"What was he hiding behind his back?" said Hermione thoughtfully.

"Do you think it had anything to do with the Stone?" Harry asked.

"I'm going to see what section he was in," said Ron. He came back a minute later with a pile of books in his arms and slammed them down on the table.

"What is up with you guys slamming books down?" Maxine mumbled.

"Dragons!" he whispered. "Hagrid was looking up stuff about dragons! Look at these: Dragon Species of Great Britain and Ireland; From Egg to Inferno, A Dragon Keeper's Guide."

"Hagrid's always wanted a dragon, he told me so the first time I ever met him," said Harry.

"I don't blame him, I would love to have a dragon myself. A Chinese Fireball, or a Horntail, or maybe a Norweg-" Maxine thought out loud.