Chapter Fourteen: The End of Year One

Hermione and Maxine were sitting in the common room by the window waiting for Harry to wake up. They were sitting facing each other, both focused on doing their own thing. The heterochromatic-eyed girl was busy sketching Shadow, while the brown-eyed girl was busy doing her light reading.

"How did you learn all those healing spells?" Hermione asked as she looked at the heterochromatic-eyed girl.

Maxine lifted her gaze, meeting Hermione's eyes, "My dad..." she said, giving the girl a soft sad smile. "He left behind most of his belongings. Some were different journals with a lot of details and explanations. There were journals that had spells, another one about potions, one about magical beasts, basically one for every subject." She paused and frowned slightly, "He really prepared to teach me everything."

Hermione observed Maxine silently, she recognized the sorrowful expression on her face so she decided to stop asking questions. She could tell something was bothering Maxine, and instead of pushing, she thought it might be best not to pry.

Ron came bursting into the common room, his eyes darting between the girls, "Harry is awake."

When Maxine, Ron, and Hermione reached the entrance of the Hospital Wing, their eyes met with Harry's, who was already inside. Madam Pomfrey, the nurse, noticed them, but before they could take a step inside, they were stopped.

"You are not allowed in. Harry needs his rest," the nurse declared sternly, blocking their path.

As she went in, Harry can be heard arguing with Madam Pomfrey to let them in. She was a nice woman, but very strict.

"Just five minutes," Harry pleaded.

"Absolutely not."

"You let Professor Dumbledore in...."

"Well, of course, that was the headmaster, quite different. You need rest."

"I am resting, look, lying down and everything. Oh, go on, Madam Pomfrey..."

"Oh, very well," she said. "But five minutes only."

Madam Pomfrey came out and stared at the three repeating, "Five minutes only."

"Harry!" Hermione looked like she wanted to hug Harry but Maxine held her back when she noticed he looked like he was in a lot of pain.

"Oh, Harry, we were sure you were going to - Dumbledore was so worried -"

"The whole school's talking about it," said Ron.

"What really happened?" asked Maxine.

Harry told them everything: Quirrell, the mirror, the Stone, and Voldemort. They gasped in all the right places, and when Harry told them what was under Quirrell's turban, Hermione screamed out loud.

"So the Stone's gone?" said Ron finally. "Flamel's just going to die?"

"That's what I said, but Dumbledore thinks that - what was it? - 'to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.' "

"I always said he was off his rocker," said Ron.

"So what happened to you three?" said Harry.

"Well, I got back all right," Hermione started, "Maxine knew some spells to heal Ron, so it was easier to head to the owlery to contact Dumbledore, when we met him in the entrance hall - he already knew - he just said, 'Harry's gone after him, hasn't he?' and hurtled off to the third floor."

"D'you think he meant you to do it?" said Ron. "Sending you your fathers cloak and everything?"

"Well," Hermione exploded, "if he did - I mean to say - that's terrible - you could have been killed."