Chapter Five: Midnight Occurrences

Maxine was excited about her upcoming flying lessons on Thursday, she didn't care if the Slytherins joined them. Harry, on the other hand, didn't seem as enthusiastic about the idea.

During a conversation with Dean in the Gryffindor common room, Maxine found herself talking about soccer, a sport completely different from Quidditch. Ron kept arguing how boring it sounded since there was no flying allowed and only one ball. She understood Ron's perspective, but growing up in a Muggle neighborhood gave her an appreciation for the sport. Her neighborhood eagerly awaited soccer matches and often invited her to join them when they played on the streets.

Remus had occasionally updated her about Quidditch and Maxine was looking forward to trying out for the team next year, she wouldn't mind any position as long as she had fun.

On Thursday morning at breakfast, Maxine noticed Hermione's nervousness about the upcoming flying lesson. Hermione was rambling on about all the flying tips she had gathered from the library, and it seemed like everyone was growing bored of her. Maxine decided to speak up, the other students at the table looked thankful

"You'll do great, Hermione." Maxine said with a reassuring smile.

Hermione shook her head, "Reading about it is different! I want to be prepared and avoid getting injured."

Maxine emphasized the word 'lesson' and replied, "They are called flying lessons, Hermione. Even if one of us gets injured, we have Madam Pomfrey to tend to our injuries." That seemed to reassure the brown-eyed girl before her, at least a little.

Soon the mail arrived, Shadow set another box of chocolate brownies in front of Maxine. Her grin was wide showing her braces, and her dimples showed prominently, which made Hermione stare at her, experiencing another sense of déjà vu.

Maxine promptly wrote a thank you note to her mother, expressing how much Harry, Ron, and Neville loved them.

"Here." Maxine said grinning, offering Hermione a brownie. The bushy-haired girl furrowed her brows as she gazed at the brownies.

Maxine chuckled, "It's not poisonous. I promise." Hermione hesitantly accepted it, took a small bite, and her eyes widened in delight. Maxine grinned, and made sure to remember to save the girl before her a chocolate brownie every time.

"Oi! Did your mum send more brownies?" Ron exclaimed, and Maxine promptly shared them with Harry, Ron, and Neville.

Maxine looked at Neville as he excitedly opened a packet from his grandmother.

"It's a Remembrall!" Neville explained. "Gran knows I forget things - this tells you if there's something you've forgotten to do. Look, you hold it tight like this and if it turns red - oh..." His face fell, because the Remembrall had glowed red, "... you've forgotten something..."

Sitting next to him, Maxine gave his shoulder a reassuring pat. While Neville struggled to remember, Draco passed by the table and snatched the Remembrall out of Neville's hand.

In an instant, Maxine, Harry, and Ron jumped to their feet. Before anything could happen, Professor McGonagall appeared.

"What's going on?"

"Malfoy's got my Remembrall, Professor."

Scowling, Malfoy quickly dropped the Remembrall back on the table. "Just looking," he said, and he sloped away with Crabbe and Goyle behind him.

When they arrived at the flying lesson, Gryffindor and Slytherin students were standing on opposite sides of the grounds. Madam Hooch arrived, she had short, gray hair, and yellow eyes like a hawk.