Chapter Nine: Holidays Year One

Christmas was near. Before they left home for the holidays, they still had to go to a few classes. Halfway through December Hogwarts was covered in several feet of snow. The lake was completely frozen and the twins took advantage of the snow, charming snowballs to follow Quirrel around hitting the back of his turban. It was hard for the owls to get through the stormy sky with the mailing, a few got hurt which Hagrid had to nurse back to health before they were able to fly off again

Maxine couldn't wait for the holidays to start. Professor Snape's classes were down in the dungeons, where everyone was able to see their breath in a mist and kept close to their hot cauldron.

"I do feel so sorry, for all those people who have to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas because they're not wanted at home." said Draco Malfoy, one Potions class looking over at Harry.

Draco has been bitter since Slytherin lost the Quidditch match. So, Malfoy had been taunting Harry about having no proper family.

Maxine wasn't sure how she felt leaving Harry alone at Hogwarts but when Ron told them the Weasleys were all staying over because their parents had gone to visit Charlie in Romania, she felt a little better knowing that Harry won't be alone.

When they left the dungeons at the end of Potions, they found a large fir tree blocking the corridor ahead. Hagrid was the one dragging it around.

"Hi, Hagrid, want any help?" Ron asked, sticking his head through the branches.

"Yeah, we can cast the levitation charm for you." Maxine added.

"Nah, I'm all right, thanks, Ron, Maxine."

"Would you mind moving out of the way?" Malfoy said bitterly behind them.

"Are you trying to earn some extra money, Weasley? Hoping to be a gamekeeper yourself when you leave Hogwarts, I suppose - that hut of Hagrid's must seem like a palace compared to what your family's used to."

Ron dived at Malfoy just as Snape came up the stairs.

"WEASLEY!"

Ron let go of the front of Malfoy's robes.

"He was provoked, Professor Snape," said Hagrid, sticking his huge hairy face out from behind the tree. "Malfoy was insultin' his family."

"Be that as it may, fighting is against Hogwarts rules, Hagrid," said Snape silkily. "Five points from Gryffindor, Weasley, and be grateful it isn't more. Move along, all of you."

Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle pushed roughly past the tree, scattering needles everywhere and smirking.

"I'll get him," said Ron, grinding his teeth at Malfoy's back, "one of these days, I'll get him ‐"

"I want to punch those smirks off their faces someday," said Maxine, clenching her jaw.

"I hate them both," said Harry, "Malfoy and Snape."

"Come on, cheer up, it's nearly Christmas," said Hagrid. "Tell yeh what, come with me an' see the Great Hall, looks a treat."

So the four of them followed Hagrid and his tree off to the Great Hall, where Professor McGonagall and Professor Flitwick were busy with the Christmas decorations.

"Ah, Hagrid, the last tree - put it in the far corner, would you?"

The Great Hall looked amazing. Everywhere you turned was decorated. No spot was left untouched. Festoons of holly and mistletoe hung all around the walls, and no less than twelve towering Christmas trees stood around the room, some sparkling with tiny icicles, some glittering with hundreds of candles.