Chapter Ten: Nicolas Flamel

When they got back from the Holidays, Harry had told Maxine and Hermione everything that happened. Harry got a cloak of invisibility that belonged to his father, he used it to look for Nicolas Flamel in the restricted section and was nearly caught but he managed to get away only to stumble upon the Mirror of Erised, which Maxine wanted to see for herself. She wondered what she would see in the mirror but Harry told them Dumbledore will move the mirror.

Hermione on the other hand took a different view of things. She was torn between horror at the idea of Harry being out of bed, roaming the school three nights in a row, and disappointment that he hadn't at least found out who Nicolas Flamel was.

"You see, Dumbledore was right, that mirror could drive you mad," said Ron, when Harry told them about some dreams.

They continued to search for Nicolas Flamel, Harry kept insisting he was sure that he heard that name somewhere but can't remember where.

In the Gryffindor common room, Ron and Hermione were playing chess while Maxine was sketching. This time she drew an egg with a dragon next to it, it was a very specific type of dragon. Chess was the only thing Hermione ever lost at, something they thought was very good for her.

"Don't talk to me for a moment," said Ron when Harry sat down next to him, "I need to concen -" He looked at Harry. "What's the matter with you? You look terrible."

Speaking quietly so that no one else would hear, Harry told them about Snape's sudden desire to be a Quidditch referee.

"Don't play," said Hermione at once.

"Say you're ill," said Ron.

"Pretend to break your leg," Hermione suggested.

"Really break your leg," said Maxine.

"I can't," said Harry. "There isn't a reserve Seeker. If I back out, Gryffindor can't play at all."

At that moment Neville toppled into the common room. How he had managed to climb through the portrait hole was anyone's guess, because his legs had been stuck together with what they recognized at once as the Leg-Locker Curse. He must have had to bunny hop all the way up to Gryffindor Tower.

Everyone fell over laughing except Hermione, who leapt up and performed the countercurse. Neville's legs sprang apart and he got to his feet, trembling. Maxine got up to help Neville, leading him to sit with Harry and Ron.

"What happened?" Hermione asked him

"Malfoy," said Neville shakily. "I met him outside the library. He said he'd been looking for someone to practice that on."

"Go to Professor McGonagall!" Hermione urged Neville. "Report him!"

"I don't want more trouble," Neville mumbled, shaking his head.

"You've got to stand up to him, Neville!" said Ron. "He's used to walking all over people, but that's no reason to lie down in front of him and make it easier."

"There's no need to tell me I'm not brave enough to be in Gryffindor, Malfoy's already done that," Neville choked out.

Maxine frowned slightly wishing she could help him gain the courage to stand up to him. Harry took out a Chocolate Frog and gave it to Neville, who looked like he was about to cry.

"Thanks, Harry... I think I'll go to bed... D'you want the card, you collect them, don't you?"

As Neville walked away, Harry looked at the Famous Wizard card. "Dumbledore again," he said, "He was the first one I ever -" He gasped and Maxine watched confused as he stared at the back of the card then looked up at her, Ron, and Hermione.