Chapter Six: Special Occasions

The next day, Malfoy was visibly irritated. Not only because Harry and Ron were still at Hogwarts, but every time he opened his books, quacking noises erupted from them. The students around him burst into laughter, and Harry and Ron exchanged confused glances, then looked at Maxine.

Just then, Fred and George approached, "Nice work, Maxine," they chimed in.

"What? I don't know what you're talking about?" she replied with a mischievous grin

Fred and George exchanged amused glances before one of them leaned in and whispered, "We saw you with Malfoy's books yesterday. It was brilliant!"

As the twins left, Harry and Ron continued to discuss what the three-headed dog could possibly be guarding and what the package that Hagrid moved was. Hermione wasn't speaking to them and Neville didn't want to think about the dog at all.

As the owls began to arrive, Harry received a long, thin package. Harry opened the letter and then showed Ron and Maxine the letter. Her eyes widened at the note and they left the hall quickly, not before running into Malfoy.

"Why must we always run into you, Blondie." Maxine groaned.

Malfoy snatched Harry's package, "That's a broomstick. You'll be in for it this time, Potter, first years aren't allowed them."

"It's not any old broomstick," Maxine said, then Ron chimed in, "It's a Nimbus Two Thousand. What did you say you've got at home, Malfoy, a Comet Two Sixty? Comets look flashy, but they're not in the same league as the Nimbus."

"What would you know about it, Weasley, you couldn't afford half the handle," Malfoy snapped back. "I suppose you and your brothers have to save up twig by twig."

Before Ron could answer, Professor Flitwick appeared at Malfoy's elbow.

"Not arguing, I hope?" he squeaked.

"Potters been sent a broomstick, Professor," said Malfoy quickly.

"Yes, yes, that's right," said Professor Flitwick, beaming at Harry. "Professor McGonagall told me all about the special circumstances, Potter. And what model is it?"

"A Nimbus Two Thousand, sir," said Harry.

"And it's really thanks to Malfoy here that Harry got it," Maxine smirked.

As they walked towards the Gryffindor Tower, Harry chuckled, "Well, it's true, if he hadn't stolen Neville's Remembrall I wouldn't be on the team..."

"So I suppose you think that's a reward for breaking rules?" Hermione said angrily, looking disapprovingly at the package in Harry's hand.

"I thought you weren't speaking to us?" said Harry.

"Yes, don't stop now, it's doing us so much good." said Ron.

Later after dinner, Ron and Maxine helped Harry unwrap the package. Seeing the Nimbus Two Thousand broom up close, she was awestruck and wished she could give it a try.

Harry headed off to go to Quidditch practice with Oliver Wood, Gryffindor's team captain. That evening, Ron decided to stay in his room, while Maxine decided to make her way to the library. As she entered, she noticed Hermione sitting alone at a secluded corner table, so she decided to join her.

Hermione glanced at Maxine and rolled her eyes, then continued to focus on her studies. The silence between them didn't bother Maxine. They were both focused on their respective homework when she suddenly broke the silence.