Chapter Eight: Quidditch

November came around and it was Quidditch season. Harry was going to play his first match against Slytherin and somehow, someone managed to slip up that Harry was going to be playing as a seeker.

Hermione had been helping them out with their homework. Although Maxine would help here and there, the bushy-haired girl was far more brilliant in tutoring. She had also become more relaxed with them since the troll incident.

Maxine has been trying to figure out if she should tell her mother what happened with the troll, but she was sure her mother would want to transfer her into Ilvermorny, Beauxbatons, Durmstrang, or Mahoutokoro. Her mother started researching more schools with the help of Remus in case Hogwarts didn't work out.

They were outside freezing in the courtyard the day before Harry's first game. Hermione conjured a blue fire for them that had been carried in a jar. They were standing with their backs to it, getting warm when Snape limped over to them.

"What's that you've got there, Potter?"

It was Harry's favorite book that Hermione had lent him, Quidditch Through the Ages.

"Library books are not to be taken outside the school," said Snape. "Give it to me. Five points from Gryffindor."

"He's just made that rule up," Harry muttered angrily.

"Wonder what's wrong with his leg?" Maxine said as Snape limped away.

"Dunno, but I hope it's really hurting him," said Ron bitterly.

The Gryffindor common room was very noisy that evening. Harry, Ron, Maxine, and Hermione sat together next to a window. Hermione and Maxine were checking Harry and Ron's Charms homework for them. Unlike Maxine, Hermione would never let them copy because as she strictly told Maxine, 'How will they learn anything if they keep copying you?' Instead, both girls read through their homework, making sure they understood it all.

Maxine noticed Harry becoming restless. "If you want to go get the book from Snape, at least try asking him for it. If you'd like, I can go with you."

"It's okay. I'll go alone." Harry said, shaking his head at Maxine a small smile as he stood and walked away.

As Harry left, Maxine turned to Ron and Hermione. "Do you think he will be alright?"

Ron looked up from his homework, "Who knows? It's Snape, he enjoys taking points off Gryffindor for no reason."

Hermione spoke up, "Snape might not be our favorite person, but he's still a teacher."

Ron rolled his eyes, "Yeah, a teacher who never misses a chance to put Gryffindor down."

They continued to do their homework when Harry stumbled into the common room.

"Did you get it?" Ron asked as Harry joined them. "What's the matter?"

In a low whisper, Harry told them what he had seen: Snape had hurt his leg really badly. He overheard Snape question Filch how they were supposed to get past the three-headed dog they ran into.

"You know what this means?" he finished breathlessly. "He tried to get past that three-headed dog at Halloween! That's where he was going when we saw him - he's after whatever it's guarding! And I'd bet my broomstick he let that troll in, to make a diversion!"

Hermione's eyes were wide while Maxine furrowed her eyes in confusion.

"No - he wouldn't. I know he's not very nice, but he wouldn't try and steal something Dumbledore was keeping safe." Hermione said.