Chapter Seven: Halloween

Since Maxine's birthday, they've been too focused on classes and before they realized it, Halloween arrived. In their Charms class, they began to learn the levitation spell for objects. Maxine found herself seated beside Hermione, but Flitwick paired her up with Neville, leaving Hermione to work with Ron.

"Now, don't forget that nice wrist movement we've been practicing!" squeaked Professor Flitwick, perched on top of his pile of books. "Swish and flick, remember, swish and flick. And saying the magic words properly is very important, too - never forget Wizard Baruffio, who said 's' instead of 'f' and found himself on the floor with a buffalo on his chest."

With a swish and a flick of her wand, Maxine confidently cast the incantation "Wingardium Leviosa" causing her feather to fly.

"Well done, Miss Rosen!" Professor Flitwick exclaimed.

Maxine smiled and tried to help Neville until she heard Hermione snap, "You're saying it wrong, It's Wing-gar-dium, make the 'gar' nice and long. And it's Levi-o-sa, not Livio-sar."

"You do it, then, if you're so clever," Ron snarled.

Hermione rolled up the sleeves of her gown, flicked her wand, and said, "Wingardium Leviosa!" The feather rose off the desk and hovered about four feet above their heads.

"Oh, well done!" cried Professor Flitwick, clapping. "Everyone see, Miss Granger and Miss Rosen have done it!"

Maxine heard Seamus Finnigan chanting not too far away from her "Wingard Levosa. Wingard Levosa"

"Uh, Seamus, you might want to be caref -" Maxine began, but before Maxine could finish her warning, a resounding "BOOM!" echoed through the room as Seamus's feather exploded.

"I think we're going to need another feather over here, Professor." Harry stated.

After class, Ron was complaining about Hermione. " 'It's Levi-o-sa, not Livio-sar.' It's no wonder no one can stand her, she's a nightmare, honestly. I don't understand why you're friends with her, Maxine."

Hermione had knocked into Harry as she hurried past him, Maxine noticed her tears and frowned looking at Ron angrily before going after Hermione.

"Hermione... Wait up!" Maxine exclaimed, trying to catch up to Hermione.

"I want to be left alone."

"But -"

"I said I want to be alone." Hermione said as she hurriedly walked past Maxine.

Maxine sighed before returning back to the boys, shaking her head at Ron. Hermione wasn't seen for the rest of the afternoon. On the way to the Great Hall, Patil told Maxine about Hermione crying in the girls' bathroom when Maxine asked if anyone had seen her.

During dinner, the Great Hall was filled with Halloween decorations and a giant feast appeared. Professor Quirrell came sprinting into the hall, when he reached Professor Dumbledore's chair, he slumped against the table and gasped, "Troll - in the dungeons - thought you ought to know."

Everyone screamed. It took several purple firecrackers exploding from the end of Professor Dumbledore's wand to bring silence.

"Prefects," he rumbled, "lead your Houses back to the dormitories immediately!"

Percy stood up immediately. "Follow me! Stick together, first years! No need to fear the troll if you follow my orders! Stay close behind me, now. Make way, first years coming through! Excuse me, I'm a prefect!"