Trap

Shadow and Goldheart were headed back to their ship after a day of treasure-hunting with no results. Looking for gold and jewels without a map is never a good idea, but that certainly didn't cross the two pirates' minds. Or perhaps they were never looking for treasure in the first place.

Goldheart giggled, running through the forest on his way back to the beach, with Shadow following close behind. The black hedgehog seemed tense for no particular reason, but Goldheart didn't let it bother him much. They had quite a nice date, hiding from the crew in the forest. It was pretty late, so the blue hedgehog could forgive the captain for being a little agitated. Maybe he's just tired. Goldheart was getting tired after all.

Leather boots struck a cord hidden in the mud.

"Goldheart!" Shadow yelled out, but he was too late. The blue hedgehog he tried so damn hard to protect was whisked up by a net from below his feet.

Goldheart yelped, trying to pry himself free. Looking down, he saw fear radiating from Shadow's eyes that matched his own. Goldheat tugged at the net, holding back his whimpers of fear, knowing they won't help the situation in the slightest. He needed to be strong. He needed to be brave. For Shadow.

Shadow growled in helplessness, looking up at his partner in the net. He looked around frantically, trying to find anything to free Goldheart from this sick trap. Finding nothing of the sort, the black hedgehog yelled out in frustration.

Goldheart looked down at his partner with concern, his ears folding to the back of his head as he watched Shadow panic below him, searching every leaf and rock in an attempt to free the blue hedgehog. Finally, Goldheart called out to him.

Shadow looked up at his partner, tears threatening to fall from his eyes as he looked back to the sight before him. Goldheart smiled, despite the fear coursing through his veins.

"I'll be fine, Shadow." He said. "Get back to the crew."

The black hedgehog shook his head.

"I won't leave you!" He shouted, his voice breaking despite him trying to contain his emotions.

Goldheart softened his gaze, trying to calm Shadow despite his position.

"You have to go," he continued softly, "get back to the ship and get help. I'll wait for you here."

Shadow's ears dropped, shutting his eyes. Then, after a moment of deafening silence, the black hedgehog took off towards the beach, leaving his dearly beloved partner behind him. Goldheart sighed softly.

The sun had long vanished below the horizon.

Goldheart sat, waiting, still trapped in the net. He had tried to free himself during the past hours to no avail. He didn't have his pocket knife or his cutlass, so cutting the net was out of the question. Wriggling out didn't help either, and now his hands were sore from trying to break the net open with his strength.

Goldheart groaned. He was worried, about everything. It was almost nightfall, and he was still stuck here; if something jumped at him, how was he going to escape? And Shadow; was he okay? Did he make it back to the ship?

The sound of footsteps brought the blue hedgehog's thoughts back to the present. Goldheart looked down, seeing a black hedgehog arrive with a young fox with two, bushy tails bouncing behind him. The blue hedgehog smiled brightly.

"Tails!" He yelled out happily.

"Stay right there, Gold." Tails answered, setting his bag on the ground. "I'll get you outta there."

Goldheart chuckled softly, watching the fox at work. Emerald then found their way to the black hedgehog, seeing Shadow's concerned face. Goldheart smiled warmly at him, a quick reminder that they'll be holding each other again soon enough.

"What did I tell you, Shads?" He asked. "Told you I'll be alright."

Shadow let out a deep sigh, one he's been holding since this afternoon. Tails was here now, and soon enough, Goldheart would be free from the trap, and they'll return to the ship safe and sound. Shadow was more than happy to invite the blue hedgehog to share the captain's quarters tonight. The black hedgehog figured they could both use some time to de-stress with each other.

Goldheart yelled out in shock when the net suddenly dropped. Landing on his back, the blue hedgehog rubbed his head. Suddenly, though, he was embraced in a tight hug and lifted off the ground once more, now safe and cosy in the arms of his lover.

Tails quickly turned away, but Shadow and Goldheart weren't exactly the quietest couples. Hugs were exchanged, along with kisses and reassuring words, now that Goldheart was out of the net. The two-tailed fox smirked a little.

Sometimes he wished he could have a relationship like that.