Voyage

Voyages.

Maiden Voyages were always one to remember.

Shadow remembers his first voyage with the ARK . It was a magical day; sailing out to sea independently for the first time was incredible, leading his own crew on an adventure—a story he would tell for ages to come.

So, without a doubt, he would not deny the chance for anyone to take their maiden voyage. Goldheart, claiming to be a pirate yet with no experience, was running around the ship; preparing her for another journey. Shadow smiled at him, remembering the day he took his first voyage. The black hedgehog was just as excited as the landlubber was now, and it eased him to know he would be giving Goldheart the pleasure of his maiden voyage.

Goldheart laughed as he ran on the deck, making the final preparations as the crew ordered him to. He turned to the captain, Shadow, showing him a thumbs up. The ARK was ready for departure.

Shadow smiled back.

"Open canvas!" He shouted to his crew. "Depart for the seven seas!"

The crew shouted with delight. Goldheart cheered as the sails of the ARK opened, catching the ocean winds and taking the ship out to open waters. The blue hedgehog ran to the bow of the ship, letting the salty air rush past his face and howling in his ears—the adventure was calling to him.

Shadow watched with a smile, memories of his maiden voyage resurfacing the longer his red eyes observed the new pirate and planned to work Goldheart as hard as he had been worked himself. The captain quickly crossed the idea off. Maiden Voyages were supposed to be something that brought you happiness when you remembered them; overworking Goldheart would not be ideal if Shadow wanted the landlubber to think back with joy. Instead, Shadow lent the helm to Rouge—his first mate—then made his way to the hedgehog at the bow.

"Enjoying the view?" He asked, standing behind Goldheart. The blue hedgehog turned around, bright emerald eyes gleaming with excitement and joy. Shadow chuckled a little. They haven't even left the bay.

"Yes!" Goldheart answered, almost bouncing as he stood. "I'm really excited! I can't believe I'm on my first trip as a pirate already! I thought I'd be thrown in jail already."

Shadow listened without a word as the blye hedgehog rambled. Excitement, adrenaline, happiness...it was everything the experienced captain once felt years ago. The first time he sailed to sea.

"Say," Goldheart suddenly stopped rambling, turning to look at the black hedgehog, "what were you like? When you first sailed?"

The captain hummed a little.

Goldheart waited patiently for Shadow to answer, but he was regretting asking in the first place. Was it wrong of him to ask the captain of his younger days? The blue hedgehog didn't know the rules of the ship yet, and he was hoping he didn't break one already. He didn't want to snuff his chances.

But Shadow smiled.

"I was..." The captain began, glancing to the side, watching as the ship sailed out of the bay. With a smile, he turned back to Goldheart, his bright red eyes shimmering in the sunlight. And Goldheart saw something unmistakable. Joy.

"I was a lot like you."