Wounded

The battle was fierce.

Goldheart powered through, his body pulsing with exhaustion, yet he refused to rest. He couldn't afford to. Shadow stood back-to-back with him, guarding the blue hedgehog with his life while Goldheart did the same for him.

Swords clashed against swords; pirates up against pirates. Two crews battling to the death in order to seize or keep the ARK; one of the greatest ships of her time. Shadow was not surprised in the slightest to see his old rival—ex-first mate—return to his vessel in order to steal her from her captain. Infinite never went down without a fight. And frankly, neither will Shadow.

Goldheart smirked. As exhausted as he is, the blue hedgehog found the situation exhilarating. But he couldn't get distracted by the fleeting joy he felt inside. The blue hedgehog covered his captain's back, his cutlass clashing with any sword or weapon that tried to harm Shadow. It was a dance, one where he had to think on his feet. One wrong move could lead to fatality.

Infinite definitely didn't see this battle as a dance. This was nothing more than a scheme to claim what was rightfully his. He will kill Shadow for the ARK. Blood will be split today.

Shadow grimaced at the sight of the ARK's deck being stained with rusty red liquid. He growled, red eyes burning with fury as he glared at the jackal. He raised his cutlass, as Infinite raised his sword. The two captains charged, much to the concerns of both their crews. Goldhearted watched, terror ricocheting through his veins as he watched Shadow fight with Infinite.

Thunder soon clapped as the sky darkened. Rain fell from the steel grey clouds as blood-stained swords continued to clash. Shadow would stop at nothing to defend his ship and his crew; he would fight to the death to know that Goldheart would live to sail the seas and captain the ARK in his place. Shadow would be at peace to see his dearly beloved rule the ocean, just as the black hedgehog did. And he zoned out just for a moment.

A sharp pain shot through his body. Shadow gasped, not loud enough for anyone to hear. He looked down, his waist now leaked bright red—fresh blood. He shook his head; now was no time for distractions.

Shadow leapt to the sky, despite the pain, his fur drenched in freezing water as he swung his cutlass down. Infinite dodged, jumping to the side. The black hedgehog missed the jackal by a mere inch, but it was enough to remind Infinite who was the true captain of this ship.

Infinite stood, pale as a ghost as a drop of blood dripped down his face. Shadow stepped forward, dragging his cutlass along.

"Don't you love the smell of fear?" He asked, swinging his sword to tease the fool of a captain before him as he clutched his waist, his blood staining through his coat and his glove.

The jackal scrambled, terrified, and ordered a retreat. He and his pack ran across the board to their ship, opening their sails and leaving the ARK far behind them. Shadow sighed with relief.

Goldheart cheered with the crew, happily hoisting their swords to the sky as the storm made way for a bright sunny day. He turned to his captain, a beaming smile accompanying joyful green eyes. But all his happiness and pride vanished.

Shadow clutched his hip, his leather gloves stained dark red. Goldheart's stomach dropped to his guts.

The captain of the ARK dropped his sword and fell.

The first mate rushed to his side, screaming his name in agonizing pain and fear.

Captain Shadow the Hedgehog was wounded.