Chao

Shadow thought Chao were creatures of legend—the children of Chaos, an ancient god and controller of the seven seas and all water on the planet. Yet, at his feet was a small toddler-like creature with big black eyes looking up at him. Shadow blinked. It blinked back. This has to be a Chao.

"Hello, little guy!" Goldheart exclaimed softly, kneeling down to greet the small creature. It greeted him back, giggling cutely. The blue hedgehog would've melted like ice at the adorableness of the Chao. "Aww! You're so cute!"

Shadow was still stunned, standing as still as a statue as he went over every possible explanation for the existence of this Chao, to no avail. The black hedgehog still refused to believe that the creature of legend truly existed, but sooner or later, he'll have to come to terms with the fact that they do. Well, no time like the present, right?

"So," Shadow said, talking to himself as he kneeled down also, "this is a Chao."

"A child of Chaos, eh?" Goldheart chuckled, then took the little Chao into his arms. "Cuter than I imagined."

Shadow sighed, watching his partner hug the creature like a newborn baby. But something inside the captain softened as he watched the blue hedgehog cuddle the Chao, nuzzling it and treating it as if it was his own child. The Chao seemed to enjoy it too, laughing as Goldheart gave it his attention.

"Hey, Shads," Goldheart called out, turning his emerald green eyes back to the captain he so dearly loved, "think we can keep him?"

Shadow hummed softly. He wanted to decline; there was no way any of them would have time to care for a Chao while they pirated their way on the oceans. But on the other hand, it would be cruel to leave a defenceless creature by itself, especially after it had made a bond with a certain blue hedgehog. Shadow supposed he only really had one option.

"Sure."

Months went by quicker than Shadow realised. The crew took a liking to the Chao as much as Goldheart did, and everyone dedicated at least one hour of their day to look after the little guy. Goldheart insisted on naming the Chao "Euiseden" (some random name the hedgehog heard while he was a hoglet), and the rest of the crew didn't mind it in the slightest. So, Shadow was stuck with an awestruck crew and a toddler-looking Chao named Euiseden. He didn't mind it, either.

Now, Euiseden was a pirate, just like the rest of them. The little guy has become quite the daredevil, following the crew on every adventure they've been on. And Shadow has to admit it, Euiseden was a lucky charm for the crew. Ever since the Chao boarded the ship, the seas have become calmer for the ARK and her crew. Storms became less frequent, and Shadow rarely ever had to worry about rouge waves anymore. Euiseden brought good fortune and joy to the ship.

And the captain can't imagine a world without Euiseden.