Captain's Quarters

Goldheart was summoned to the Captain's quarters. He didn't find it too alarming, Captain Shadow summoned him to his quarters quite often. What really surprised him was that it was the middle of the night.

Goldheart didn't question the quartermaster; a red echidna just a few years older than himself. The two had a rivalry, somewhat, but the echidna respected the blue hedgehog. In fact, most of the crew did. Most likely due to the fact that Goldheart and Shadow have been in a relationship for the past decade or so.

The first mate knocked on the door to his captain's quarters. Goldheart heard a hum of acknowledgement, and with that, he invited himself inside.

Shadow was working at his desk, scrolls and books piled around his exhausted form. Goldheart quietly winced at the scene of his dearly beloved labouring himself away until his body forced him to fall and fade into an uneasy sleep.

"Goldy." Shadow mumbled, not turning his attention away from the book he currently had his hands on. The first mate murmured a response. "I require your assistance."

Goldheart stepped towards his captain, careful not to block out the light from a single lit candle in the room. Emerald eyes glanced down at the letters and words on the pages of the book, scanning through and reading the story.

"Can you read?" Shadow asked suddenly, drawing the blue hedgehog out of his thoughts. Goldheart nodded without a word, confusion coursing through his veins at the question. Shadow sighed softly, closing the book and passing it to his partner.

"I am...tired." He admitted. "I would like you to read for me."

Goldheart was stumped. Words were caught in his throat, unsure of what to respond with. But eventually, he agreed. Shadow nodded, rolling up open scrolls and closing abandoned books. As he tidied up his workspace, his first mate was flipping through the book Shadow gave him.

Unbeknownst to him, the captain yawned . Goldheart noticed immediately, and a soft smirk appeared formed from his lips. 'Tired', the captain said, but 'on his last legs' sounds better.

"Captain," Goldheart spoke, whispering in a gentle manner, "come with me."

Shadow was stuttering weak commands, his face flushed as his first mate gently tugged him to the bed. Goldheart shoved him down, tenderly, and the dark captain landed on the soft bed with a quiet 'oof'. The blue hedgehog chuckled, finding the gesture rather adorable. Goldheart placed a hand on Shadow's chest, his gloved hands grazing slightly against the captain's tuff of fluffy white fur. With another gentle shove, the blue hedgehog forced Shadow to lie on the bed, tucking him in soon after.

Goldheart sat beside the bed now, opening the book and reading through the first page. Shadow held no resistance, felt no need to get out of bed as he listened to his partner's voice, luring him to a magical world of endless frontiers. The black hedgehog smiled as he imagined a beautiful young maiden, riding across the grasslands to discover her destiny to be something other than a princess. Soon enough, Shadow was drifting off to sleep.

Goldheart smiled, seeing his captain soundly asleep. He quietly closed the book, returning it to the desk where Shadow worked. The blue hedgehog pulled the covers closer, hoping that it'll keep Shadow warm for the night.

And with that, Goldheart strolled to the door and blew out the candle.

"Goodnight, Captain."