Emerald

The Chaos Emeralds, and the Master Emerald, are legends—fairytales and bedtime stories told to children during the night. As a hoglet, Shadow believed in these mythical jewels that granted unlimited power. But as he matured, he realised they were just that. Myths.

Until Goldheart came along with that map, and the treasure they uncovered—a shining diamond—made Shadow question everything he believed in. The diamond was currently held in a glass jar, sitting on the shelf in Shadow's quarters. He glared at it, waiting for it to give him an answer. But it wasn't going to do that. It was a priceless jewel, and most definitely not a mythical Chaos Emerald. But curiosity got the best of the captain.

The black hedgehog was enveloped in a mountain books and scrolls. He was reading through every one of them—every story, legend, and myth of the Emeralds, hoping to find a clue to the mysterious diamond he held in his possession. Shadow was so caught up in his research, he didn't even hear the door of his room opening.

Goldheart sighed. Shadow was working again. The blue hedgehog closed the door, lighting a few candles as he made his way in. He brought one of them to Shadow's desk, setting it on the wood but away from the parchment. It wasn't worth burning anything.

"Captain," Goldheart spoke, sitting down opposite the black hedgehog, "what is it?"

Shadow mumbled an answer, jabbing his quill towards the diamond that rested on the shelf. Green eyes studied the jewel.

"Something about the diamond?" Goldheart asked, turning back to Shadow, who still had his nose in a book as he nodded in response. The blue hedgehog rolled his eyes, not surprised something so little had piqued Shadow's interest. As they always did.

"At least get some help." He sighed, disappointed that his captain was caught in work and research yet again. Nevertheless, he picked up a book and started reading. Shadow continued on with no comment.

Hours went by as the ARK sailed the seas, guided by her crew while her captain worked tirelessly in his quarters. Goldheart had not left Shadow's side, caught in the legends of the Chaos Emeralds as much as the black hedgehog was.

A long scroll had been written, spread out across the desk, and new information was being added as the two hedgehogs discovered more of the Emeralds. The candles had nearly burned out, and the sun outside was drawing closer to the horizon with every passing moment. But as night came closer, the scroll was being completed.

"That should be all." Shadow announced, closing the book in his hand as he added the last note to the scroll. Goldheart did the same.

"Alright," he said, smiling, "let's check it out."

Ages ago, from the stars, came seven gems; seven emeralds capable of granting miracles. Seven emeralds, fused with the power of Chaos and Creation.

The Chaos Emeralds.

With one, a single man could wield the power of the universe—destroy and create anything he wished.

With all seven, a single man would become the most powerful warrior—his heart fueling the emeralds to gain what he desired.

Oceans rose, empires fell.

All who felt greed, all who attempted to steal the emeralds, were brought to order by the emeralds' will.

They will defend their magic, scatter, hide from all who do not deserve them.

Until their controller arrives.

The servers are the seven chaos.

Chaos is power.

Power enriched by the heart.

The controller serves to unify the chaos.

The Chaos Emeralds are theirs to wield.

Shadow sighed softly, setting the scroll down. Goldheart reread what they wrote, feeling quite satisfied.

"It's alright, Shadow." He said, placing a gentle and calming hand on the black hedgehog's shoulders. "We're one step closer, at least."

Shadow nodded softly, agreeing with Goldheart. Only for the time being. He looked at the diamond again, sighing. He will get to the bottom of this.

Shadow was certain that the diamond is a Chaos Emerald. If only he could prove it.