Chapter Six

This one is dedicated to my new bestie (i barley know them) @kat4351 😭🤞

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

8732 Wentworth Ct, Roseville, CA

November 18th, 2015

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

"Milly!" A voice screams the nickname so loud near her head, Camila flinches forward. She sighs, already knowing who it is. "Kaylee." The girl hugs her from behind, placing her head on her shoulder and looking around the empty room. There is nothing on the white walls, and freshly put in tan carpet lines the floor. "Wow. This room looks scaringly plain." She deadpans, and Camila huffs as sets her dry paintbrush down on the floor near the cans of blue paint. "'Scaringly' isn't a word KK."

She spent an hour in the paint store last week, looking through the sections before eventually settling on "Leisure Blue". In her head, it looks the closest to what her son described when he told her what color he wanted his bedroom walls to be. She learned she was very wrong when the little boy threw a tantrum and told her she was stupid and a bad mother.

In her defense, she doesn't know the exact color of the blueberry cotton candy his father had bought him on his last visit to Maine.

Maneuvering around the bundle of children's furniture in the middle of the room, Camila makes her way to the kitchen for the drink that's helped her get sober for so long. Her sponsor told her it wasn't a good idea to search for something to replace the alcohol, but if it works, it works.

She pulls out two cans of coca cola, placing one on the counter in front of her best friend and keeping the other for herself.

The kids are across the country right now, spending a few days with their father since it's thanksgiving break. Camila usually goes with them- taking her bodyguards as well- to make sure nothing happens and because young children can't fly alone, but Lila offered to go this time. It was hard to agree, the fear that one day her kids won't come home to her eating up at her, but she trusts her sister enough to ensure a safe and calm visit with the man.

So with them gone for another day before their flight back to California where Kaylee and Camila will pick them up, the hockey player decided to start on the house renovations she's been meaning to do recently. Painting Jasper's room, putting together Dalia's canopy bed, etcetera.

In her opinion- and literally everyone else's- the five bedroom house with a pool and river behind the backyard is much nicer than Carlo's two bedroom dirty apartment. We're not gonna get into that conversation right now though.

"Look what I got." Camila says, fishing a tiny object out of her pocket to show her best friend. It's a small round pin, a triangle encrusted into it with two lines inside of that. "Mike came over to give it to me yesterday."

Mike Bell. He's a friend of Cara's who was seven years sober when he and Camila met (he's ten years sober now). Ironically, they met at a party with lots of alcohol and drugs. The brit was about two months sober at that time, and helped her through a panic attack when one of her old friends wouldn't stop insisting she have a drink with them. She had nervously asked him to be her sponsor a few months after that, and well, now we're here.

"That's awesome Milly! Two whole years! I'm so proud of you." Kaylee says as she pulls Camila into a tight hug. Her friend's enthusiasm makes her feel a bit better about the small object, having not believed it was that special when Mike came over to give it to her.

Kaylee pulls a nail polish from who knows where to start painting her nails dark blue as she tells her best friend some story just like she does every time she stays over (which is most nights). The woman doesn't like going home to her house a few neighborhoods away. She says it's too loney, reminds her of her childhood. So instead, she spends most nights with Camila and the kids and sleeps in one of the guest rooms or her best friends room. The brit doesn't mind, and it's days like these, days where her kids are gone and she realizes just how big and empty her house is, that she's thankful for the sleepovers.