Chapter Forty

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Darlington, England

May 11th, 2016

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Hey baby boy. Whats up?" Taylor casually asks, turning her attention away from the screen for a few seconds. Ronan doesn't say anything, just tilting his head and staring at her. She mimics his movement with a playful smile.

Jasper and Dalia are at sleepover, but he didn't want to go, so he's been in his room playing with blocks while she does work. It's just been them four for a few days, because Camila had to go away for a out of state game and took Danny with her, but Taylor didn't mind. Any time with these kids is a good time.

Ronan hesitates for a few seconds before stepping in the room. Just one foot. Nothing more. He looks up at her through his eyelashes, trying to see her reaction. She just giggles, typing in the chat of the meeting to call for a five minute break.

She pats the office chair she's on and turns her camera off, watching him slowly waddle a bit closer from the doorway. As if he's scared she'll be upset at him for....something?

"You ever think about dying?" Ronan asks in a whisper, watching as her smile immediately drops. He didn't mean to make her sad. He's just curious.

But she can't lie to him. He's a smart kid and he understands things like death and sadness. She can't just lie in a attempt to make him feel better.

"Yeah. I do."

He nods, lips pressed together as he hums slightly. She closed her laptop- Tree simply sighing as she watches the "disconnected" signal appear from Taylors video and all the other businessmen shake their heads in annoyance-, motioning for him to come all the way in. A meeting can wait.

"I think about it a lot, actually. My own mama is sick. You know that?"

He shrugs. He's never met Miss Swift, but Dalia and Jasper talk about her sometimes and she sounds like a very nice woman. He doesn't like being sick. She probably doesn't either.

Taylor sighs, letting him climb into her lap as she adjusts the beanie on his head. "I think about it a lot. I'd miss her a lot if she had to leave me. Why do you ask?" Ronan is silent, laying his head on her chest and twirling a small piece of her blonde locks in his hand.

"I don't wanna die."

Now Taylor is the silent one. She wants to cry, hold him close and promise him she'd never let it happen. She won't let him die. But that isn't how life works. He has two years left to live. According to doctors calculations, he won't make it past his tenth birthday. Then she wants to hold him, tell him she doesn't want him to die either. Because she doesn't. She doesn't want him to go.

But instead of all of that, she just tightens her grip on him, one hand gently cupping the back of his head and the other rubbing shapes onto his back. Honestly, if this is what he wants, she'd spend as much time as he has left right here, just like this.

Because she doesn't want him to die.

— - — - — - — - — - — - — - — - —

"God....aging like a president are we lily pad?" Camila chuckles, leaning in to get a hug from her sister. Lila doesn't laugh, or make a comment about the fact that the brit called her a few months ago crying over a gray hair she found while brushing her hair. She's not even looking at her. She's looking at the boy behind Camila, whos awkwardly standing there and picking at his nails.