15 | Mirror, Mirror

One Month After

"It's been a month since famous fashion designer Gabriel Agreste has disappeared. All search parties have been canceled after Officer Roger discovered a letter in Mr. Agreste's belongings. The letter says, quote, 'I don't have the strength to do this anymore. My work, the fashion brand, it's just become too much for my aching heart. Life hasn't been the same since my dear wife disappeared, and without any signs of her, it's been hard to focus on my passions and living a peaceful life with my son. I miss her so much. I know this will hurt people I care about, but I must do this for myself. I will go where no one can find me and one day, hopefully, I can be reunited with my sweet, sweet Emelie', unquote. What does this mean for the Agreste Brand? What does this mean for the son he abandoned, famous model Adrien Agreste? Tonight we'll find out more. Thank you for joining in, I'm Nadja Chamack. Don't be bemused, it's just the news."

Gabriel Agreste's departure letter mentioned in Nadja Chamack's news story? It was faked and forged by Adrien and Marinette. They suspected an investigation would happen—and they were right—and thanks to their quick, sly thinking, the investigation didn't last long.

Paris was now convinced Gabriel Agreste simply ran away and gave up his life's work of fashion and abandoned the only family he had left.

Nathalie grabbed the remote and turned off the TV. She set two cups on the counter and grabbed the kettle. "I can't believe it's been a month already."

"Has it been that along already?" Adrien mumbled, holding his cup steady as she poured tea. "Time doesn't seem real anymore."

Nathalie sat down the kettle and took a seat beside the model. "Adrien... I want to apologize."

He paused his sip and looked up at her.

"All those years I stood aside and watched while your father... abused you, I-I should've done something. I should've protected you." Nathalie lowered her head in shame. "I've always been loyal to your father, and that doesn't excuse it... can you forgive me?"

Adrien stared at the stove. He didn't know what to say. He'd hated Nathalie for years because of that—for her standing aside and letting the abuse happen without a care or thought to save him—and now here she was apologizing.

His father is gone, surely he can forgive her now? But... it wasn't that easy. Even if it were his father's hands on him, Nathalie's hands weren't exactly free of stain, either.

"Thank you for apologizing," Adrien said, forcing himself to make eye contact with her. "But I admit, it's going to take a while to heal. I don't know when I can forgive you."

Nathalie nodded. "I understand, Adrien." She brought the cup to her mouth and asked, "Your father running away seems out of character, doesn't it?"

Adrien's shoulders tensed up. "What do you mean?"

She grabbed a spoon and added sugar to her tea, slowly stirring. "Your father has never been once to back down from anything, especially his life's work. Don't you find it... strange?"

Adrien's hand tightened around the cup. He stared at his reflection in the tea. "What, is it really strange for my father to give up on things he cares about? He did that with me, didn't he?"

Nathalie took a long sip. "I suppose you're right."

With an angry thought, the teacup broke in Adrien's hand. The ceramic glass cut his hand deep and he gasped in pain as his palm stung, fresh with blood. He stepped off the stool and walked over to the sink, running the faucet as he held his hand under the water.

"Are you okay, Adrien?" Nathalie asked as she picked up broken pieces of glass.

"I'll be fine. It just..." He watched as blood flowed down the drain. "Stings." He turned off the faucet and grabbed a rag, pressing it hard to his palm as he tied it around his hand. "Sorry about the mess."

She shook her head. "It's okay. I didn't think you'd have such an... intense reaction at the mention of your father."

Adrien stared at her and cocked his head to the side. He couldn't tell what Nathalie was up to. Was this just small talk or did she have an ulterior motive? "Things with my father have always been intense. You've been witness to that," He reminded her, his tone cold and harsh.

Adrien left the kitchen without another word, back upstairs to his bedroom. He suddenly felt disgusted with himself and decided to take a shower. He grabbed a plate of cheese from the cabinet and set it on the desk. "Here, Plagg. Take a cat nap."

"Sounds like a gouda idea," The kwami whispered to himself as he devoured the snacks in one bite. 

After a quick, hot shower, Adrien changed into clean clothes and stood at the sink. He dried his messy, blonde hair with a towel, then moved on to brush his teeth. He bent forward to spit out toothpaste and rinsed his mouth out. Done with his routine, he put the toothbrush back in the holder.

Adrien looked up. Behind him in the mirror, his father stood tall and angry. His eyes widened.

"Father?!"