24 | A Kwami's Heartache

Three hours later, Felix came back and found his cousin and his... friend, classmate, girlfriend—he didn't know what to call her—cuddling in his bed, asleep.

He stared at them, disgusted, and as he went to wake them, his kwami sat on his hand and stopped him. "Let them sleep, Master!"

Tikki and Plagg flew over.

"Yes, they need this," The red bug said as she joined Duusu. They held on tight to his hand. 

"There's no time to sleep!" Felix countered. "Once we get our stories straight and fix this mess, then we can relax."

Plagg got close in his face and threatened, "You may bear my holder's resemblance but that doesn't mean I won't hesitate to hurt you."

Felix shook his hand and the kwamis flew off. "Fine, I'll let them sleep a little longer." He grabbed his phone and snapped a picture of the pair before he sat at Adrien's desk.

The three kwamis followed and sat in front of him.

"So, are those two finally dating or what?" Felix asked.

The red and black kwamis shrugged.

Plagg snorted. "In Adrien's delusions? Yes." 

"Those two haven't really talked about their dating situation since they found out each other's secret identities," Tikki whispered.

Duusu cheered. "Oh, but they must be together! It's simply romantic!"

Felix rolled his eyes. "Yes, it'll be romantic if Adrien goes to prison and Marinette's stuck writing him pathetic love letters."

"We can't let that happen!" Plagg shouted.

"But is it right to lie about this?" Tikki asked. "Someone lost their life!"

The black kwami rolled his eyes. "Gabriel Agreste was a poor excuse for a father. If anyone deserved to die, it was him."

Felix nodded. "I agree with the black creature."

"My name is Plagg. Pretty bird over there is Duusu." He gestured to the red bug. "And Miss Sourpuss over here is Tikki."

She glared at him. "I know Gabriel Agreste was a horrible man and Adrien didn't deserve any of that, but he was still human."

Felix snorted. "Barely."

"Sugarcube, what if it was your holder? What if Ladybug's father was abusing her? Wouldn't you want to help?"

"O-Of course I would. I'd do anything for Marinette."

"Then you know how I feel about my holder."

Tikki sighed. "I suppose you're right, but I still don't feel good about this. I guess we don't have a choice."

"We do," Felix said. "Either we protect Adrien and Marinette and take this secret to the grave, or we reveal the truth and hurt them. They can't exactly be Ladybug and Cat Noir if they get arrested."

"So, we keep this secret," Plagg whispered.

"For Marinette."

"For Adrien."

Duusu looked between the three of them and frowned. "I saw firsthand what that boy's father did to him, so I agree as well. We protect Adrien Agreste."

Plagg floated to Felix's eye level. "So, pretty boy, why were you gone so long? Where did you go?" 

"I had to check on something."

"Yeah, I'm gonna need more than that."

Felix grinned. "Pushy creature, are we?" 

"My holder's life is at stake here, so if I need to persuade you to talk, I don't have a problem doing that."

"You're protective of my cousin, I see."

Plagg nodded. "I would do anything for Adrien."

Felix sighed. "I did a bit of... hacking."

"Master, who is this king of hacs?" Duusu asked. 

Tikki shook her head. "No, Duusu. Hacking. One word. It means Felix put his nose where it doesn't belong."

"Well, my nose found out something. I was hacking into the police's online database—"

"For what?" Tikki cut in.

"To see where they are in the investigation—if they have any leads or suspects yet," Felix explained. "So far, no one, and Adrien or Marinette aren't anywhere close on their radar. But..."

"But what?" Plagg asked.

"Those officers are going around talking to almost every single person who's ever worked for or with Gabriel Agreste. I'm afraid that at least one of those people are going to mention how my uncle wasn't always the... greatest father to Adrien."

"Why is that bad, Master?" Duusu asked.

"You can just call me Felix," He instructed his kwami. "And if they find out that Uncle Gabriel used to abuse Adrien, my cousin will become their number one suspect. That's the last thing we want."

Plagg crossed his tiny arms. "We won't let anything happen to Adrien."

"Neither will I!" Felix shouted at the kwami.

"If anything happens to my holder, I swear I'll destroy this earth until there's nothing left but ashes."

Tikki rolled her eyes. "Always dramatic, Plagg."

Felix checked the time on his phone. "Okay, I'm waking them up."

"But you've only been back for five minutes!" Duusu reminded him.

Plagg shrugged. "They've been sleeping for hours, Duusu. They're fine."

"Felix, you said you would let them sleep longer."

"Adrien needs to know what's down there!" Felix screamed at the flying creatures, taking deep breaths.

He remembered the sight of his aunt and shook the memory away.

Felix walked over and smacked his cousin's face. "Hey, wake up!"

Adrien jolted awake with wide eyes and looked around. He saw Felix and glared at him. He grabbed his pillow and threw it at him. "Screw you," He mumbled.

"Do you want me to show you what's in the basement or not?"

Adrien sat up fast. "Yes..."

"Good," Felix answered, and he looked at Marinette. "Grab your... girl and let's go."