40 | What Lies Dead, Stays Dead

Marinette paced back and forth and she balled the skirt of her dress in her fist. She ditched her cap and gown and left them on the table. She'd been in here for almost an hour now. "Tikki, this is bad. I need to see Adrien."

"You need to stay calm, Marinette," Her kwami told her. "You've gotten this far, I'm sure you'll come up with a solution."

"Not unless Adrien came up with one first."

The door opened and her head snapped over as the two officers walked in.

"You'll never believe who we ran into out in the lobby," Officer Reimer said.

She didn't answer.

"It was Adrien's cousin—Felix, I think—and you wanna know what he told us?" His partner asked.

She crossed her arms, still silent.

"Felix said he was willing to pay both of your bails—that is if you get one."

"Where's Adrien?!" Marinette shouted.

Officer Reimer closed the door as Officer Laurent stepped forward.

"Answer me! Where is he?" She asked again.

"Keep your voice down... Ladybug."

Marinette's eyes widened. Her arms shook and she stumbled back, catching herself as she fell into the chair. "W-What did you call me? How... how do you know?"

"So, the kid was telling the truth," Officer Reimer muttered as he noticed the black studs on the girl's ears.

"How did you find out?"

"Your boyfriend told us."

Marinette shook her head fast. "Adrien? No! No, there's no way. He would never!"

Officer Riemer sat across from her and rested his hand on her arm. "We know what kind of monster Adrien Agreste is, Miss Dupain-Cheng. You don't have to be afraid of him anymore."

Adrien, a monster? "What? What are you talking about?"

"We know Adrien blackmailed you into helping him cover up his father's murder," Officer Laurent explained.

"Blackmail?" Marinette questioned, confused, then her eyes widened as she gasped. Adrien lied to protect me?! He's trying to make sure I don't get charged with anything. Ugh, I should've known he'd do something like this! "Wait, no, you don't understand—"

"Now, we plan to let you go—free of charges and all—but you just need to answer one question for us," Officer Reimer said.

She leaned back and crossed her arms. "What?"

"Where is Gabriel Agreste's body?"

"I..." Marinette looked down and avoided eye contact as she went quiet.

This could be her last chance to save him. Adrien had already told the officers that he blackmailed her, but maybe she could spin the story around and say she blackmailed him, instead.

It'd be believable. Gabriel Agreste didn't approve of their relationship, so a lovestruck hopeless girl got too caught up in her emotions, and in a heated rage, killed him, and then forced the boy she's in love with to help. She blackmailed and manipulated him.

Yes, they could believe that.

"Marinette, this could be your only chance to walk free," Officer Laurent stared to say. "We know you were manipulated and held against your will to help Adrien."