22 | Playing The Part

Felix's eyes widened. "So you don't know," He whispered.

"Know what?" Adrien asked. "Felix, tell me!"

His cousin turned his back to him. "I-I can't... not yet. Those officers are still in the office with Nathalie."

"So what?" Adrien shouted. He stepped forward and forced Felix to turn around. "Just tell me!"

"It'll be easier if I show you, Adrien."

"Why?!"

Felix couldn't make eye contact. "Because it's hard to admit out loud."

Adrien sighed. "O-Okay. But you are telling me!"

He nodded. "I will, of course. As soon as those officers leave."

There was a quiet moment until Nathalie's voice filled the room. "Adrien? Can you come downstairs please?"

His eyes widened. "They must want to talk to me."

Marinette grabbed his hand. "It'll be okay, Adrien."

"No... I-I can't do this!"

Felix grabbed his shoulders. "Yes, you can, and I'm going to help you."

"How?"

He reached in his pocket and pulled out two ear pieces. "Here, put this on."

"What is this for?" Adrien asked.

"I'm going to tell you what to say. Just repeat everything I saw to the officers."

He stared at the ear piece in his hand. "Are you sure about this?"

Felix nodded. "Yes, now go! The longer you wait, the more suspicious you are." He pushed his cousin out of the room.

Adrien took in a deep breath as he walked downstairs. He found Nathalie and the two officers standing at the bottom of the staircase. He faked a confused look and asked, "Nathalie? What's going on?"

"Adrien, these are Officers Reimer and Laurent," She introduced. "They've been assigned to your father's case."

Felix fed him words. "Assigned to my father's case—"

"—but I thought Officer Roger already did an investigation?" Adrien continued. "That letter was found in his desk."

"So you're aware of the letter?" Officer Reimer asked.

Adrien nodded. "Yes, I was there with Nathalie when Officer Roger found it."

"They believe the letter was forged and your father is really missing," Nathalie explained.

"W-What?! Missing? But that doesn't make sense."

"His car was found abandoned," Officer Laurent said. "If he was running away, why didn't he take the car with him?"

Adrien crossed his arms. "Because he knew people would be able to find him?"

"Lose the attitude, Adrien," Felix warned in his ear.

Nathalie walked over and rested a hand on his shoulder. He resisted the urge to shove her away. "Adrien, they just want to ask you some questions, and since I'm your acting guardian until you turn eighteen, I'll be present. You won't be alone."

"What kind of questions?"

Officer Reimer stepped forward. "Miss Sancoeur mentioned that a month ago, the night your father was supposed to leave for his business trip, he skipped his flight and stayed behind to talk to you."