17 | The Schemes Of A Look-Alike

"Felix, what are you doing here?" Adrien asked as he stepped forward and reached the end of the staircase. "We... I haven't seen you in months."

"Yes, you seem ecstatic to see me, cousin," He deadpanned as he rolled his eyes. "I heard about what happened to Uncle Gabriel, and I'm here on behalf of my mother and myself to offer our condolences and support."

Nathalie smiled at him. "That's sweet of you, Felix. Thank you. Could Amelie not make the trip?"

"Sadly, no. My mother has work to catch up on in London, but I was more than happy to come for her."

"Would you like some tea?"

Felix nodded. "Yes, thank you, Nathalie."

"I'll be in the kitchen when you're ready." She turned around and left.

Adrien and Marinette stepped closer to Felix.

"You're never that polite to Nathalie," Adrien pointed out. "Even when you pretend to be me. So, what's going on? Why are you really here?"

The sympathetic look fell from Felix's face. His eyebrows furrowed together as he glared at the pair. "Uncle Gabriel promised me a special brooch. I'm not leaving without it."

"So, you don't even care his father is gone?" Marinette asked as she shook her head. "Typical Felix, you don't care about anyone but yourself."

"I've never seen my father wear one," Adrien wondered out loud. "The only jewelry he ever wore was his wedding band."

Marinette's eyes widened and she smacked his arm. "Adrien... the butterfly and peacock brooches!" She whispered.

"Wait..." The model gasped. "Of course..."

Felix raised an eyebrow suspiciously at them. "How do you two know about them?"

Marinette glared at his cousin. "How do you?"

They held eye contact without saying anything.

Adrien faked a laugh. "This seems like a conversation we should have in private." He opened his father's former office doors and placed a hand on each of their backs as he pushed Marinette and Felix inside. He closed the door and locked it. "We have something to tell you, Felix."

"No, we don't," Marinette muttered.

Felix turned to her. "Let my cousin speak, Marino."

"It's Marinette."

"Whatever."

"Guys!" Adrien shouted and they looked at him. "Felix, can we trust you?"

He nodded. "Of course."

Marinette snorted. "Yeah, right," She mumbled.

"Do you have a problem with me, Dupain-Cheng?" Felix asked as he towered over her.

"Maybe I do," She challenged, not afraid. "Is that so wrong?"

Felix smirked. "Well, if you're wrong, then I never want to be right."

Adrien groaned as Marinette rolled her eyes.

"I have no problem punching you again," She threatened.

"When did you punch Felix?" Adrien asked, confused.

Marinette's eyes widened.

Felix grinned. "Yes, Marinette... when did you hit me? Because the only girl I remember punching me was Ladybug... and let's face it, you're not as cute as her."

Her hands balled into fists. Defeated, she asked, "You just connected the dots, didn't you?"

"Wasn't that hard."