v.

'An eye for an eye, a leg for a leg
A shot in the heart doesn't make it unbreak
She really didn't wanna make it messy
She really, really didn't, but the girl gone cray'

1919, Birmingham

Rowena looked out her window, seeing Tommy riding Monaghan Boy down the cobblestone street. He looked almost regal. The horse was his carriage, his peaky cap was his crown with the whole city as his kingdom. The way he strode down any path, the way he held his head high. She deeply admired him because of this. She seated herself at the windowsill, looking down at him with adoration.

A few moments passed and he was down the street. She stood and moved to her wardrobe. She took a look at herself in the grand mirror Timmy had gotten her for her birthday ordered from Paris. She saw fresh hickeys peaking out from underneath her silk nightie from the previous night, she brushed her fingers over the purple spots.

She looked around in her dresser and closet for clothes and ended up with a white puffy blouse and a long blue plaid skirt. Over her stockings, her favorite pair of dark brown heeled boots.

She walked down the stairs, almost tripping on her skirt. She sighed and trudged back up to her room to grab her little box that held all her needles and thread. She folded the skirt up to see what the length would look like and she hummed. It looks good enough, she thought. She took out some fabric call and marked it. Now it was time to start working.

•••

Rowena waiting for Tommy in the house. She heard the front door open and hopped up from her seat and ran excitedly to the door. Tommy took her in his arms and hugged her. "How was your morning, love?" He asked.

"It was good." She answered. "I hemmed my skirt, it was too long."

"Hmm, so you were busy?" He playfully asked.

"Oh, yes. Very." Winnie played along.

He let out a small chuckle. He backed away and called, "Finn!"

The two walked into the dining room just to see Finn tossing a cigarette into the fire but missing. The boy spun around. "Arthur is mad as hell." He informed.

Tommy hummed and bent over to grab the cigarette. He gave Finn a knowing look before he tossed it into fire. "What does a ten year old know is about hell, eh?"

"I'm eleven Sunday!" He argued.

"Ah, that you are. Almost a grown man." Rowena pat his head. Tommy placed his hand at the small of her back and carefully pushed her to the door that lead to the booking office. Peaky Men were writing on papers and the chalkboard, other men coming in to make bets. 

John took notice of the two and called them over. "Tommy, Winnie! Look at the book." He held it out to the two, Tommy taking it and showing it to Rowena.

"Tommy!" Arthur called.

"Just look! All on Monaghan Boy." John continued. Arthur grunted.

"Tommy!" Tommy pat John on the shoulder with a smile. "Get in here, now!" Arthur yelled again. Tommy rolled his eyes causing Rowena to pat his shoulder and push him towards Arthur. The three went into the eldest brother's office. Tommy leaned on the wall with an unimpressed expression. Arthur stared him down as he poured drinks for the three of them. "You was seen doing the powder trick down at Garrison courts."

Rowena, who was sitting in the chair across from Arthur, spun around. "Tommy?!" He just sighed and said,

"Times are hard. People need a reason to bet." Arthur was about to say something else when Tommy interrupted. "The washer woman say she's a witch. It helps them believe."

"We don't mess with the Chinese, Tom." Arthur shook his head and downed his drink.

"Look at the book-"

Arthur cut him off. "The Chinese have cutters of their own!" He slammed his hand on his desk, startling Rowena.

"We agreed, Arthur. I'm taking charge of drumming up new money."

Rowena spoke up, "what if Monaghan boy wins, Tommy?"

"Are you fixing races now?" Arthur asked. "Do you have permission from Billy Kimber to be fixing races, hmm?"

"Oh for Christ's sake. Billy fucking Kimber, Tommy?" Winnie exclaimed. "What's gotten into you? Why didn't you tell me any of this?"

"You think we can take the Chinese and Billy Kimber? Billy's gotten a bloody army!-"

"I think, Arthur... That's what I do." Tommy pushed himself from the wall towards the desk, behind Winnie. "I think. So that you don't have to."

Arthur looked at his hands. "There's news from Belfast." Tommy stopped for a brief second before he opened the office door and walked out.

Winnie took Arthur's hand. "It'll be alright. You know our Tommy. He'll find a way."

"He better or else there will be a fucking war... I'll be calling a family council tonight at eight o'clock. I want all of us there, could you tell Tommy."

Winnie gave him her signature smile. "Of course."

NOT EDITED