xiv.

'If I'm wise,
I will walk away,
And gladly...
But, sadly,
I'm not wise,
It's hard to talk away
The mem'ries...'

1919, Birmingham

The betting shop was as busy as always, Rowena taking the money and keeping track of them, Scudboat keeping watch at the door to make sure there's no funny business, John and Arthur causing a ruckus. Finn was helping out as well, after he begged and begged to help out. "You can keep watch with Scudboat, eh?" Winnie had said. And he took charge immediately.

Tommy walked into the shop and took off his coat. Winnie stood up from her desk and stalked over to her boyfriend. She held his face as she kissed him, "how's the horse?" She asked after they separated.

He pushed a strand of her hair behind her ear as he answered, "Think he's got an injured foot. But 'e's beautiful."

One of the men in the shop noticed his arrival. "Hello, Mr. Shelby, how's it going?"

"Hello Frank, how's the leg?" Tommy asked this 'Frank' in return.

"Not bad." He answered.

Tommy walked off with Rowena under his arm that was swung around her shoulders. "Morning, Charlie. All right, Scudboat, how are we looking?"

"Looking good, Tommy."

"Grand stuff."

John came rushing over. "Tommy! Tommy! They are all here for Monaghan Boy!" He informed.

Tommy pat his brother's shoulder. "That's what I like to hear, Johnny boy."

John then cleared his throat. "And Aunt Pol wants to see you." Tommy sighed as John walked away. He turned to face Winnie and said nothing as he rubbed her back before walking off. Winnie let out a sigh and walked back to her desk. Just as she sat down she saw Tommy rushing out of the shop.

...

Winnie walked into the betting den just to see Tommy, not in his office, but sitting at her desk drinking. "So Monaghan Boy finally lost." She said in a melancholy tone.

"Third time unlucky." Was his reply. "We took money from all over the city."

"Yeah, but it'll be payed back to people around here. Buy your popularity back." She moved around the desk, he rolled back to make room for her as she sat on his lap.

"Already done."

"I see Polly has taught you well. She's pissed, you know. You fixed this race without the permission of Billy Kimber. Dangerous game you're playing there."

"Billy Kimber is there for the taking."

"Hmm. Says who?" He didn't reply. She hummed and adjusted herself on his lap and slid off. "Polly told me about Ada. Gave me this letter from Ada. She wants you to give Freddie this letter." She reached into her bag and pulled out said letter. "She wants Freddie to know about the baby. He deserves an opportunity to do the right thing. And you know it."

He looked at the letter in his hands before he tossed it into the furnace. Winnie's eyes widened. Her eyes started to tear up. She shook her head, "damn them for what the did to you in France. Why-"

"Tell Ada Freddie went to America. Or Russia. If you don't want to, let Pol."

Winnie let out a scoff and stormed off, slamming the doors behind her.

LOOK WHOS BACKKKKKK
School just ended for me so that means summer has begun! I (hopefully) will be updating more often now. Most likely on weekends bc during the week I'll be busy as I got into a Musical at a local acting company so on Tuesdays-Thursdays I'll be busy. Hope you liked this chapter!
NOT EDITED