xvii.

'How strange
This feeling that my life's begun at last
This change
Can people really fall in love so fast?'

1919, Birmingham

Ada, Polly, and Rowena were walking to the train station. Ada was mostly just following begrudgingly as her aunt pulled her along.

As the women turned the corner, they saw none other than Freddie Thorne come out the train doors. "Jesus." Polly muttered. "Freddie."

"You came back." Ada said more as a statement rather than a question. She held a small smile in her face.

"I got a tip off." He said as he approached the Shelby sister.

"Freddie, Tommy will kill you." Polly warned, Winnie just placed her hand on her shoulder and gave her a look saying 'leave it alone.'

"It was Tommy who tipped me off. Maybe he's got half a heart after all. Tommy got a message to me. It said, 'get out of town and take her with you.' So..." Freddie then went on one knee in front of Ada. "Ada Shelby, will you marry me?" He held out a small ring.

Ada nodded happily, "Yes! Yes." The couple kissed and held each other, neither of them caring that they were in the middle of the station.

Ada turned to her aunt and best friend. They all jumped and squealed as they hugged. Winnie was the first to pull back. "It feels so good to know my work got to be proposed to." She motioned towards the dress she had made for Ada. She was so glad the gift she made for her to make her happy again, was the dress Ada wore as she got proposed to by her love.

Ada nodded and hugged her again. "Thank you."

"Of course, love."

"Alright. Now let's get you on the train. Come on, both of you!" Polly said, dragging Ada along to the doors.

"Freddie come on! Cardiffs okay, anywhere but here is okay!" Ada called for her now fiancée.

"We're not going anywhere, Ada." He said. All of the women's faces dropped at this, wondering what in the hell he meant. "We're gonna stay here, we're gonna marry here. I'm not afraid of Tommy Shelby." He reached for Ada who was more than happy to go with him.

Polly and Winnie looked to each other, both of them knowing damn well this won't end well.

...

Rowena left Polly at the betting den, leaving for the Garrison. She had a smile on her face as she walked. As she opened the door, she said — well tried to — "Tommy, Tommy guess what just happe-" when she turned around she noticed Billy Kimber and his men.

"Winnie, leave. Now." Tommy stood up but didn't go to her as he knew the situation at hand.

"Wha-"

"Go, Winnie. Now."

"Wait, wait, wait. Who's this? I knew you had whores, you Shelby's, but she doesn't seem like 'em. So who is she?" Kimber was now standing. Winnie made eye contact with Tommy who had a panicked look on his face.

"She's not important. Let her leave."

"Ah, so she belongs to you." Kimber smirked. "To the big boss." He mocked. He motioned his men to grab her. She stomped on one of the men's feet with her heels causing him to let out a groan and back off. But whilst that happened the other man got his hands on her officially trapping her.

"I'll give her back once you tell me what I want." Kimber sat back down and crossed his arms across his chest.

"Well what is it that you want?" Tommy asked, lighting a cigarette.

The man to the left of Billy Kimber spoke, "There were suspicious betting patterns at Kempton Park for a horse called Monaghan Boy. He won by a length twice and then finished last with £3,000 bet on him."

"Yeah, and you fixed the race WITHOUT MY PERMISSION." Kimber stood up again. "You fuckers. What, live off the war pensions of these poor Garrison Lane windows! That's your level! I am Billy Kimber, I run the races! And you fixed one of 'em, so I'm going to have you shot against a post. Maybe even after this beauty right 'ere. Have you fuckin' watch." He pointed to Winnie who was still being held back by of Kimber's men.

"Mr. Kimber." Tommy tossed a bullet to the man. "Look at it." The man did so, and saw Tommy's name etched into it. "It's from the Lee family. You're also at war with the Lees, Mr. Kimber, am I right? The Lees are attacking your bookies and taking your money. Your men can't control them. You need help."

"Perhaps we should listen to What Mr. Shelby has to say." The assistant suggested. Before we make our decisions."

The men continued to bargain until Billy tossed a coin onto the floor. "Nobody works with me. People work for me. Pick it up, pikey."

Tommy eyed Winnie before bending down to grab it. John instantly got up angrily but Tommy held his hand out. "Sit... sit down." He picked it up and looked to Mr. Kimber. Who said;

"It's for your ceiling." He muttered to the guard holding Winnie to let her go and he did. She stumbled into Tommy's arms.

"Thank you Mr. Kimber." The men then all walked out.

...

"Now what was the news you just had to tell me." He asked with a clenched jaw.

"Freddie is back. He read your tip. He came back." She smiled as she spoke. Tommy just nodded and walked off. Winnie sighed and sat on their bed defeated. She didn't bother getting ready for bed, she slipped off her heels and stocking then slipped into bed. About ten minutes later she felt a rip in the bed and the familiar smell of smoke and pine.

This chapter was ALLLLL over the place
NOT EDITED