xii.

People think I'm insane
Because I am frowning all the time (come on out)
All day long I think of things
But nothing seems to satisfy
Think I'll lose my mind

1919, Birmingham

When the boys came back from the fair, they saw the aftermath of the chaos that had occurred while they were gone. "Now, what the blood hell's been going on here?" Arthur asked no one in particular.

Tommy muttered "Jesus Christ" as he pulled in to the front of the house. The brothers walked into the house, the family and a few Peaky men were already sitting there. "About time you showed up." Polly complained. "Go on, sit down."

Once everyone was settled, Rowena started to explain what happened. "The coppers told everyone Arthur had agreed to it when he was arrested. They said the Peaky Blunders had cleared out to the fair to let them do it." She sighed and poured a few cups of whiskey for the boys.

Arthur stared down at his cup. "I never said nothing to that copper about smashing up bloody houses!-"

"All right. Which pubs did they do?" Tommy spoke up.

"The Guns, the Chain, the Marquis." Polly answered before she took a drag of her cigarette. "All the ones that pay you to protect them. Only one they didn't touch was the Garrison. Make sure people think we were in on it."

Winnie shook her head in disbelief. "He's smart, this copper."

"You'd better show people you are still the cocks of the walk!" Polly chastised.

Tommy ignored her and spoke to the Peaky men who stood at the wall. "Hand out some cash to the landlords of the pubs. Pay some veterans to fix the places up."

The boys went over to grab their coats. "So, what about you, Tommy?" Asked Arthur.

"I have to go to Charlie's to stable the horse." He informed. "She looked footsore in the box."

Polly shut the door to the betting house and sat down next to Winnie. Polly looked Tommy dead in the eyes as she said, "so we both know what they were looking for. You don't read the papers."

"I read the racing papers." Was all he said. 

"So let me tell you the odds." Polly leaned in. "I reckon it's three to one, there'll be a revolution."

"I wouldn't bet on that. That copper's betting on it. He's not going to let it rest 'till he gets those guns back."

Winnie wanted to pitch in, but this was a family matter. She was considered as family but this was a sensitive topic and she figured she shouldn't say anything. She was debating on staying and being awkward or walking out awkwardly. Either way it would be awkward.

Tommy sat down. "Did he talk to either of you?"

Polly nodded. "In the Church. Winnie and I were lighting candles for the boys at the Garrison when he walked in."

Tommy glanced at Winnie, checking her face for any marks. He didn't see any so he continued. "Did he try to find out Ada?"

"She was sleeping." Polly lied.

"Where was she sleeping, Pol?" The Shelby man scoffed.

"I thought you didn't care for women's business."

The man stared at his aunt. He looked over to Rowena who, surprisingly, also held a stone cold look on her face, much like his aunt's at the moment. He stubbed out his cigarette and sat back into his chair.

"He knows you're the boss." Tommy and Pol looked at Rowena as she suddenly spoke up. "Said he wanted to meet you. Will you talk to him?"

"No." Tommy didn't miss a beat. "You don't parley when you're on the back foot. We'll strike a blow back first." He then stood up and grabbed his coat, leaving without saying anything else to the two women.

Polly and Winnie shared a knowing look.

Kinda short but at least i uploaded 🤷‍♀️
I can't believe it's already May, it feels like it should still be March!!
NOT EDITED