xvi.

'What cruel world is this? Nectar of the Gods
Heroin gold in my veins, you in my thoughts
I'm on the freeway racin' at a million
And I just can't stop'

1919, Birmingham

As the women waked into the betting den, they noticed a lack of someone's presence. Rowena set her hands on the back of Arthur's chair. "Where's Tommy?" She asked.

"All he said was he was goin' out." He grunted as he shifted through the papers on his desk. The Tanith woman sighed and walked away.

...

Rowena walked into their shared bedroom room around 8 in the afternoon. "So..." she started. "Where were you?" She asked Tommy

Tommy didn't say anything as he stood there changing into his sleepwear. She sighed. "Will you at least tell me you're okay?"

At that, he stopped his movements. Without turning he said, "I'm fine." And he resumed getting ready for bed. Winnie merely sighed and went to the bathroom.

Once she came out Tommy was sitting on the bed. "You know, you used that all to me. Like actually talk to me. Tell me about your day, ask me about mine." Her eyes sparkled over the thought. "... what happened? Only last week you said those things and now you're not talking to anyone."

He looked at her for a second before getting up and heading into the bathroom. Winnie sighed exasperatedly. She knocked on the bathroom door, "I'll be sleeping in my own room tonight. I'll be waiting for an adult conversation in the morning. If that will ever happen." She then stomped out of their room to her old room and laid down on that bed. She grimaced as the bed made a screeching sound. For the first time in quite a few weeks, she slept alone.

Meanwhile, Tommy was back on the bed with some opium in his hand, lit it up and inhaled, the heavy drug filling his lungs and making him feel light headed. He then laid down and fell asleep.

He was in the tunnels, a man came out from nowhere and started to attack him. Blood spurted from both of the men, but one of the men's injuries were worse.

He bolted up with heavy breaths. He looked at the wall and heard the digging. He realized that he needed Winnie. But before he made it to his door, he heard banging downstairs and his name being called. He moved the curtain to the side to see Curly on the street holding a lantern, motioning Tommy to come down to him.

Tommy slipped in some trousers and a coat before he ran down to his friend. He followed him out to Charlie's yard to see his horse. "Curly tell me, what's wrong with 'em?"

"I-it's a cur-curse, Tom." He started to freak out. He wanted Winnie. She always knew how to make him feel better.

Tommy walked up to him and held his shoulders. "Curly... sh, sh, sh. Tell me, Curly, what's wrong with the horse?"

"You b-bought it at the fair in bad feeling. The Lees put a bad seed in the hoof. Got an old woman to put a spell!" He started to hyperventilate but Tommy walked up to the horse instead of consoling his friend.

"So those Lee bastard cursed him." Tommy said as he looked the horse in the eyes.

Charlie sighed. "Whatever it is, he says it spreads to the other feet."

"It's going to his heart by tomorrow, I'd say." Curly added very unhelpfully. "Seen curses like this before, twice. Can't take them back, Tom!"

Tommy stood there for a moment. "Get out." He told the two men. Tommy pulled out his gun and cocked it while it was aimed at the horse's head. "I'm sorry." He then left and headed home.

...

Tommy opened Rowena's door and walked in. He grabbed the lighter from off her dresser and pulled out a cigarette. Sitting on her bed, he lit the cigarette.

Winnie opened her eyes once she felt the dip in her bed. "What are you doing?" She asked as she sat up against the headboard.

"I just put a bullet in his head." He bluntly stated.

"I- in whose head?" Winnie asked with her eyes widening.

"The horse."

Winnie sat there stunned before asking, "was he lame?"

"He was cursed. Bad hoof, it was spreading. Curly said he'd be dead by morning."

"The poor thing. I'm sorry you had to do that."

"A waste is what it is. You know, in France... in France I got used to seeing men die. Never got used to seeing horses die. They die badly." He said with a distant look in his eyes.

Winnie leaned in to give him a kiss on the cheek. She rested her hand on his shoulder. "Just come to bed. Come on, lay down."

He nodded and put out his cigarette in the ashtray beside her bed. He slipped off his shoes, coat, and trousers and climbed into the bed. To bring his mind away from the past few hours, she asked "The Cheltanham races are beginning soon, am I to go with you?"

He shook his head. "It's too risky to bring you. I asked the new barmaid over at the Garrison. She agreed to gn with me."

"You're using her?" She asked as she stroked his hair. Tommy nodded against her chest. Nit in the mood to argue, she let it be. "Alright. Goodnight, my love."

He lifted his head and kissed her neck. "Goodnight" he muttered.

Look at me with a regular posting schedule
NOT EDITED