Chapter Ten

*Emma Nott POV* *After walking out of Dumbledore's Office*

I walked out of the headmaster's office feeling guilty and angry. I should have known that Eli and his friends were under the Imperio Curse. Even when we hung out after Christmas break, they seemed different and a little distant. Sometimes their eyes would get glazed over for a minute before returning to normal. I thought nothing of it because back then, I didn't have the knowledge that I have now. The first sign that someone is under the Imperio Curse is glazed or hazy and unclear eyes, just like when he said that he wanted to explain his side this morning. I thought he was simply on the verge of crying, but no. He was still under that stupid unforgivable curse.

I sat at the bottom of the steps with tears in my eyes. I know they must be scared of me now. I've hidden that part of myself from everyone, including Theo. I just...I just want to be accepted for who I truly am—a girl who was blessed with immense magical abilities. But I know that could never happen. There would be those who would fear what would happen if my abilities became unmanageable, but that's why I've been practicing control with the Professors and especially with Dumbledore.

I start to hear the rush of shoes coming towards me and quickly hide behind the eagle more to not be seen. It was Madam Pomfrey. She rushed up the stairs, mostly likely to make sure everyone was okay. I looked at my shoes as I thought about what I had done. I knew Eli Logan would be damaged internally, as that was my goal at the time. But now, I just wanted his memories. Dark curls and silvery blonde...I knew of two important people with those descriptions and if my theory was right...Voldemort was behind everything.

I start to see Madam Pomfrey descend the stairs. I came out of my hiding spot and cleared my throat. This caused her to jump slightly while placing her hand over her heart.

"My dear child, you scared me." She said in a worried voice.

"I'm sorry as that was not my intention, Madam Pomfrey." She nodded and looked back at the boy floating behind her.

"I wish to comfort the boy if you're okay with that," I explain with a soft smile. "After all, I'm the reason he's in pain."

"My dear, I don't think it's a good idea. He's not stable enough and I fear you may have other intentions than what you say." Her words cause me to sigh. There was no way anyone could get past this woman with sweet words.

"You would be partially right. I wish to go through what memories he has left, but I also want to heal him enough to be able to be transported. You and I both know, Madam Pomfrey, that I can have him stable to transport within minutes if you let me."

"And all you wish in return is to alter his memories?" she asked, raising her brow.

"Oh no. I don't want to alter anything. I only wish to see what is left. He gave two clues as to who put him under the Imperio Curse. I just wish to confirm who he saw. And I promise to heal him to the full extent of my abilities. I believe this to be a fair trade, don't you agree?"

She thought about it for a moment before nodding her head. The boy floated to the floor at the end of the steps before gently being placed down. I took my wand out and placed it against his temple.

"Legilimency," I whisper while closing my eyes. Eli's memories were a jumble of messes. Most memories were of our times together while a few were dark and almost painted over. These were the memories that were lost forever. I continued to go deeper until I heard that stupid cackling laugh, I knew belonged to Bellatrix Lestrange. I followed this memory until it slowly became clear.

"Ahahaha. It's so much fun toying with a girl who could so easily kill us." Bellatrix says while jumping up and down while surrounded by dark trees.