Chapter 4: The Palace

Antoinette and Elysia arrived at the front door at the same time, with Elysia furious and Antoinette hoping to calm her. Antoinette had tried her best to follow the instructions of the Mistress, and did deliver the couple to the island safely, but she knew Elysia was hurt by her actions and did not know what to do now.

A guard stationed outside the palace acknowledged Antoinette by name and opened the door. Both she and Elysia entered and found standing before them a stately woman in a long amber robe.

"Hello, Antoinette," she said, and then, turning to Elysia, said, "Welcome to our island, Mrs. Palmara. My name is Grace, and I am the chatelaine of this palace. I have been asked by the Mistress to convey her greetings to you and to tell you that she will see you for breakfast in the morning."

She turned back to Antoinette and said, "The Mistress thanks you for bringing Mrs. Palmara and her husband to us safely, and she asks you to come and see her tomorrow at ten. Good night, Antoinette."

With that, Antoinette nodded to Grace and then turned to Elysia. "I am so sorry for upsetting you. It was my intention that no physical or emotional harm be done to you by my actions. Yet, I have frightened you and caused you pain. I will tell the Mistress tomorrow how I failed her, and I hope I can find a way to make amends to you. Goodnight, Elysia."

Elysia looked stone-faced at Antoinette, then turned away without a word. She faced Grace and asked, "Can you please take me someplace where I can bathe and sleep?"

Antoinette said nothing more and left the palace. She would not sleep that night for fear of what the Mistress might say or do to her. She knew that Elysia was important to the Mistress, though she did not know why, and knew she could face a punishment that would cause her at least twice as much pain as she had inflicted on Elysia.

The fear and pain she caused by pirating the sailboat and then ordering the separation of Elysia and Andrew were bad enough. She was instructed to do these things, but she should have found ways to do them without frightening the woman. Luring Elysia's husband into bed with her was also part of her instructions, but Elysia was not supposed to find out about this. How did she know? Andrew was not supposed to tell her. Now, she was ordered to continue a sexual relationship with the handsome husband to bind him to the island. If Elysia is important enough to go to so much trouble to get her here, it would be foolish to make an enemy of her. She hoped that the Mistress would be able to provide guidance tomorrow.

Elysia was led by Grace to a beautiful bedroom on the second floor of the building. After showing her the amenities of the room, Grace left Elysia alone, locking the door behind her from the outside.

"Once again," Elysia said to herself, "I'm a prisoner." She had the clear impression that she was important to someone here and was not just someone caught up in a simple act of piracy on the high seas. Her husband was not important, she thought. Why else would she be brought to this palace and not him? Because of her apparent importance, she was sure that Antoinette told the truth, and she would not be harmed. As for Andrew, his safety did not seem quite so certain.

The furnishings and decorations seemed expensive but old-fashioned, reminding her somewhat of the American colonial period. Her bags were already placed on a table at the foot of the bed. The room had an adjoining bath, which gave her a sudden rush of pleasure. She had taken a shower earlier on the boat, but water was scarce on board, and showers were short. She desperately wanted to feel clean, as if that would make her feel less afraid.

She undressed, tossed her clothes onto the bed, grabbed her shampoo and toiletries from one of her bags, and walked into the bathroom. It was all marble, but its coldness spoiled the beauty of the stone. She spent a long time under the soothing hot water, trying to relax. She was also trying to will herself to believe that all would be well here, both for her and Andrew.

She put on a light gown and tried to compose herself, but it was not until early morning that, exhausted, she finally fell asleep. She might as well have stayed awake. Her sleep was troubled by dreams of strange women, with powerful men at their feet, appearing to worship them; and she became one of them. In the dream, she despised the men that knelt before her and longed for another who...

Her dream was interrupted by a knock on her door. Before she was awake enough to answer, the door opened and a tall, commanding woman walked into her room. "I am Miriam. I am here to prepare you to meet the Mistress, Mrs. Palmara."

Elysia, exhausted from lack of sleep and still lost in her dream, looked at the woman without comprehension. "Who are you?"

"You must get up, now, Mrs. Palmara. You must be ready to meet the Mistress in an hour, and there is much to do. Please get up."

Elysia reluctantly did as she was told and sat on the edge of the bed, looking at this woman. Elysia was tall, but this woman was half a head taller and loomed over her in high heel shoes. She was dressed in a black robe that was intricately embroidered with blue and gold threads. She wore a silver collar, adorned with what seemed to be emeralds, and a belt and bracelets of the same style. Her hair formed a single braid that reached her waist.

"You will please listen carefully to all that I tell you and follow my instructions exactly. The Mistress is a powerful woman and can be hard on those who come to her presence unprepared or without the proper respect."

Elysia formed a picture in her mind of an unyielding sovereign who ruled this island through fear. She then had the sudden thought that, if the Mistress was not pleased with her, or she somehow offended this mysterious woman, Andrew could suffer. Maybe she was safe from harm, but Andrew?

Over the course of an hour, Elysia was transformed from a captive to someone fit to meet the Mistress of the island. It was both a physical and psychological transformation, which Elysia acquiesced to, for fear that Andrew's safety might depend on her obedience. Elysia was given an elaborate robe in place of the casual garments in her suitcase. She was made to put rings on her fingers, jeweled sandals on her feet, and a collar of precious stones. Her hair was made up in many curls and braids and held together with sparkling pins.

While dressing her, Miriam gave her warnings regarding the protocol to be followed in the presence of the Mistress. She was to speak only when spoken to and to ask no questions, except for questions necessary to clarify what the Mistress would tell her. "Listen to her," Miriam warned, "and do not complain. Do not try to bargain for Andrew. In fact, if the Mistress does not bring up his name, say nothing about him." Miriam's warnings continued to paint a dire picture of a woman of power and inflexibility, able to mete out punishment for the slightest infraction. These warnings heightened Elysia's concern for Andrew, and for herself. Even the title, Mistress, evoked for Elysia an individual who was devoid of anything personal or human.

Finally satisfied, Miriam led Elysia out of the room. After walking through elaborate hallways, adorned with paintings in heavy frames, almost exclusively of women, they came to ornately carved doors, which swung open silently.