SHIELD OF ARES

-Where should we start looking?; I asked Luke.

- Look there is a tourist guide, it's best to blend in with the tourists and look around along the way.; Luke answered as we walked on the rocks.

- Great idea, that's why I chose you for this task.; I said to Luke and he laughed.
- Is that because or because you couldn't live without me for this long?; he asked with a wink.
- Maybe that too.; I replied with a smile.

We followed the tour guide like tourists until we saw him.We must have walked for two hours.

We saw the shield. He was on the edge of the rock, almost falling. It was surrounded by a fence that was easy to jump over. There was also some small inscription.
- No one knows how this shield got here. It just appeared overnight. We don't even know when exactly. It is here in the same condition as we found it. No one touched or moved it at all.; the tourist guide was explaining.

-How will we get to the shield?; I asked. Luke thought for a while and came to a conclusion.
- We'll take it overnight. There won't be people, and it will be easier to get there.; Luke explained.
-So tonight we take the shield.;
-That's right.
Luke's plan was to simply take the shield while no one else was around. For most people, it's just a dusty shield, so they probably won't think much of it.

We decided to walk around the city until evening, eat something and simply hang out.I'm glad Luke and I are getting back to normal. I missed our conversations a lot.

As I sat across from him, our laughter filling the air, I couldn't help but feel a sense of overwhelming relief wash over me. The tension that had lingered between us for what felt like an eternity had finally dissipated, replaced by the warmth of familiarity and friendship.

I glanced at him, studying the familiar lines of his face, the way his eyes crinkled when he smiled, and I realized just how much I had missed him. It wasn't just the inside jokes or the late-night conversations that I longed for; it was the comfort of having someone who truly understood me, who knew the depths of my soul.

During those days of silence and distance, I found myself constantly thinking about him, replaying memories in my mind like scenes from a movie. I missed the way his presence could brighten even the darkest of days, how he always knew the right words to say to lift my spirits.

But more than anything, I missed the connection we shared, the effortless bond that had once been the foundation of our friendship. It was during those lonely moments that I realized just how much he meant to me, how his absence left a void in my life that no one else could fill.

And now, as we sat together once again, the weight of those days apart seemed to melt away. It was as if no time had passed at all, as if we were picking up right where we left off. And in that moment, I knew that no matter what challenges lay ahead, our friendship would always endure, stronger and more resilient than ever before.

It was already dark, almost nothing could be seen. Luke and I headed for the shield. We bought some lamps, some small portable ones. Not much light came out of them.Small portable lamps are compact lighting devices designed for convenience and mobility. They are usually powered by batteries, have a durable housing and a powerful LED bulb for efficient lighting. With their pocket-sized design, they are ideal for a variety of tasks such as navigating in the dark, finding objects in tight spaces or signaling in an emergency. Or in our case, they're ideal for shield stealing. Many models offer adjustable brightness settings and may include additional features such as water resistance, shock-resistant construction or rechargeable batteries. Whether for outdoor adventures, household use, emergency preparedness or shield theft, these versatile tools provide reliable illumination whenever and wherever needed, ensuring safety and convenience on the go.

I was annoyed by the thunder. I hate it when it thunders, not because I'm afraid, but because I don't like the light and sound of thunder.

- There's the shield!; Luke said lighting up the shield.
- I'm going to get it.; I said.
-Wait, I'm going.; Luke pulled my hand as I started to walk towards the shield.
- No, this is my task, I'm going.; I tried to fight.
-Okay, but be careful.; however, in the end he gave up because he knew he couldn't beat me in negotiations. I nodded my head and crossed the fence. Luke stayed outside the fence.

I raised the shield from the ground. The shield was honestly quite heavy. Luke watched as I lifted it above my head. It felt so good to hold that shield.

Everything was fine until I felt the ground shake under my feet. Then I no longer felt anything under my feet. The cliff collapsed. I grabbed the edge. There was nothing under me. I held on to the edge with my right hand and held the shield in my left hand.

The edge I was holding on to collapsed. Good thing Luke was quick enough to grab my hand. I was hanging off a cliff. Luke was holding my hand and trying to pull me up.
- I told you to be careful.; Luke was nagging me.
- How could I have known that the stupid cliff would collapse?; I asked hanging off the cliff.
- The shield is too heavy, I can't pull it properly.; Luke spoke holding my right hand tightly.

Suddenly I saw a lightning strike. Right next to me. I think I even went blind for a moment. I no longer felt Luke's hand. I was falling, that fall seemed like an eternity. I couldn't see or hear Luke anymore. Still, I held the shield tight, I didn't want to let it go.

And then I died.

Well...not really!