MAYBE ONE DAY

-Helen, who told you that?; he asked again. I knew he wouldn't let go of my hand until I answered him.

-Arthur.; I said quite quietly, just enough for him to hear.
-Of course he said that.; he said and let go of my hand.
- I asked him why you don't like Ares' children. He wouldn't have said that if I hadn't asked him.; I said trying to defend Arthur.
- Did he maybe tell you why I can't stand him?; he asked, he was visibly angry, but he didn't raise his voice at me. Arthur didn't tell me about it, so I couldn't answer that question. I just kept quiet.

- I asked you something.; He said.
- I heard you. He didn't tell me.; I answered.
- Of course he didn't tell you. Do you know why he didn't tell you? Because he was one of those kids. He was not a child of Ares but he was just like them.; He said. I couldn't believe what I heard. It's not possible that Arthur is like that, I didn't want to believe that he was like that.
-It is not possible.; I said not wanting to accept.

-Wake up Helen, the world is not as nice a place as you think it is. I tried to keep you away from him to protect you from him. He probably wanted to take revenge on me in some way through you. I'm trying to open your eyes and...; he started to say something but I interrupted him.
-Stop Luke. The world doesn't revolve around you. Maybe Arthur really tried to be my friend.; I said. I didn't want to be so rude to him, but someone had to put him down.
- Why would you want him to be your friend? Do you think he doesn't want some benefit?
- Maybe he doesn't want to, I don't know.
- I'm trying to help you.
-I don't need your help!; I shouted. He looked at me sadly. He bowed his head.
- Luke, I didn't mean it like that when I just said that.; I apologized.
-It is OK. I understand. Feel free to choose him over me.

- I'm not choosing Arthur over you. I would never choose Arthur over you.; I said, trying not to cry.
- It doesn't seem like that to me.; he replied looking away from me.
- I'm trying to return everything to the way it was, I'm really trying. Arthur has been helping me this whole time. He only wants good for us, for me, even for you.; I tried to tell him as calmly as possible. My voice cracked slightly, I was just afraid I would start crying.
- Do you think that I don't want everything to go back to the way it was? Do you think I volunteered to clean Poseidon's cabin for no reason?; he waved his hands and shouted. There were tears in his eyes. Light conversation turned into screaming and fighting. It was difficult for both of us.

-Why does everything have to be so difficult? Why can't we just forget everything and go back to the way it was?; I asked.
- I'd love to, but we've gone too far. I can't even look you in the eyes the same way anymore.; he replied.

- Do you think it was easy for me to look you in the face and lie to you that I hate you? Helen, I swore to protect you, but in the end I was the one who hurt you. - he said sadly. I can't describe to you how much I wanted to scream and cry and hug him. How can you hate someone like him?

- We can fix everything. But only if you want it. I want you back, you mean more to me than anyone in this camp.; I said it word by word. My voice was trembling.
- I want it, I really want it, Helen, I was stupid. I couldn't think straight. I tried to cut you out of my life but it's just not possible. I see you in everything around me. I went to the beach every night because it was our place.; he spoke. His every word echoed in my ears. I didn't even know what to do, how to behave, what to answer him. I wanted my friend back, more than anything. This time without him was harder than my entire life before I met him. It seems that what they say 'You don't know what you have until you lose it' is true.

- Luke, it doesn't have to be this way. Our friendship is stronger than our parents' names. You were my friend, a real friend, my first friend.; I said. I felt tears running down my cheeks. I couldn't hold back the tears anymore, they started pouring. Luke came closer to me. We were a few millimeters apart. He took my hands.
-I can't be your friend Helen, never again, too many things have changed.; He said. Those words broke my heart. It broke into a million pieces. He looked me straight in the eyes. I had no words to say.

He approached me and ... kissed me. I don't know what came over him. Why would he just kiss me like that?

I broke the kiss and took a few steps back from him.

- I'm sorry, I shouldn't have.; He said. I didn't know if I liked what he did or not. Of course I liked it, but it was wrong. I shouldn't have liked it, but I did.

I didn't say anything, I just ran out of Poseidon's cabin. I heard him call my name, but I didn't turn around. I ran all the way to Ares' cabin. I didn't turn around, nor did I slow down.

I had to tell Clarisse this. I hoped she was in the cabin, she was there on her bed painting her nails.

-You won't believe what just happened.; I said immediately jumping on her bed.
- Take it easy pretty girl, what happened? I thought you were cleaning Poseidon's cabin?; she asked, all surprised by my appearance.
- I was cleaning Poseidon's cabin, but you will never guess who I was cleaning it with...; I started to tell her.