-Down Under- .2. (2.1k Words)

Long ago, two races ruled over Earth: HUMANS and MONSTERS.

One day, war broke out between the two races.

After a long battle, the humans were victorious.

They sealed the monsters underground with a magic spell.

Many years later...

MT. Ebott 201X.

Legends say that those who climb the mountain never return....

(Y/N POV)

As you gradually open your eyes, you can feel the warmth of the sun on your face. You blink a few times to adjust your eyesight as you try to get a sense of where you are. Your mind feels foggy, and you can't seem to remember what happened before you got here. Wait, you fell into a hole.

You sit up slowly, and as you do, you feel a sharp pain in your neck. You rub it gently, trying to soothe it as you survey your surroundings. You find yourself in a narrow hallway with plain purplish walls and a tiled floor. There's a door at the far end of the hallway, but it's too dark to see what's beyond it.

Your body feels stiff and sore, and you realize that you must have been lying down for a while. You stretch out your limbs, one by one, trying to get rid of the stiffness.

As you rise to your feet, you lean against the wall for support, feeling a little unsteady. You take a few deep breaths and begin to walk towards the door at the end of the hallway. With each step, you feel a sense of unease growing within you. You don't know where you are, or what lies on the other side of that doorway.

As you step through the doorway, you find yourself in a dimly lit room. But as your eyes adjust, you notice a bright beam of light shining down on a small patch of grass in the center of the room. You can't resist looking up and you're amazed to see a series of cracks in the ceiling leading up to the surface, allowing the light to flood the room with its radiance. You feel a sense of wonder and continue forward through another dark doorway, unsure of what lies ahead.

As you enter the next room, you're struck by the contrast in lighting - this one is well-lit, and you can see everything. You notice pressure plates on the floor and a closed door, which piques your curiosity. You take a moment to examine the room and you spot a sign hanging on the wall. You wonder what it might say, and feel a sense of excitement as you move closer to read it.

'Only the fearless may proceed.

Brave ones, foolish ones.

Both walk not the middle road'

You reread it before understanding that it is a riddle for the pressure plates to open the door. But now you have to solve the riddle. You reread it, both walk not the middle road. Then it clicks, don't walk on the middle-pressure plates. You walk over to the plates step on the four outer plates and flip the lever on the wall. The door slowly creaked open letting you continue further on your journey.

As you walk the room opens up to a long hallway with levers on the wall... another puzzle? How many of these am I going to have to do?

~Time skip~

You spent an excruciatingly long time-solving various puzzles, one of which had spikes protruding from the floor that almost killed you. It was a gruesome experience, and you were relieved that you hadn't come across anyone or anything in this abandoned-looking yet well-maintained place.