𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆-𝘁𝗵𝗿𝗲𝗲.

FINE LINE - THE FIRST TASK

Mavis got up on Sunday morning and dressed so inattentively that it was a while before she realised she was trying to pull her hat onto her foot instead of her sock. When she'd finally got all her clothes on the right parts of her body, Mavis hurried off to find Hermione, locating her at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall, where she was eating breakfast with Ginny.

Feeling too queasy to eat, Mavis waited until Hermione had swallowed her last spoonful of porridge, then dragged her out into the grounds for another walk. There, she told her all about the dragons, and about everything Sirius had said, while they took another long walk around the lake.

Alarmed as she was by Sirius' warnings about Karkaroff, Hermione still thought that the dragons were the more pressing problem.

"Let's just try and keep you alive until Tuesday evening," she said desperately, "and then we can worry about Karkaroff."

They walked three times around the lake, trying all the way to think of a simple spell that would subdue a dragon. Nothing whatsoever occurred to them, so they retired to the library instead.

Much to Mavis' surprise, she spotted Harry pulling down every book he could find on dragons. Mavis quickly ushered him over and the three of them set to work searching through the large pile.

"Talon-clipping by charms... treating scale rot... this is no good, this is for nutters like Hagrid who want to keep them healthy..." Harry mumbled reading through another book. "Dragons are extremely difficult to slay, owing to the ancient magic that imbes their thick hides, which none but the most powerful spells can penetrate... but Sirius said a simple one would do it..."

"Let's try some simple spellbooks, then," Mavis said, throwing aside Men Who Love Dragons Too Much.

She returned to the table with a pile of spellbooks, set them down and began to flick through each in turn, Hermione whispering nonstop at her elbow.

"There's Switching Spells..." Mavis read, "but what's the point of Switching it? Unless you swapped its fangs for wine gums or something, that would make it less dangerous... the trouble is, like that book said, not much is going to get through a dragon's hide..."

"I'd say Transfigure it, but something that big, you really haven't got a hope, I doubt even Professor McGonagall... unless you're supposed to put the spell on yourself?" Hermione rambled. "Maybe to give yourself extra powers? But they're not simple spells, I mean, we haven't done any of those in class, only know about them because I've been doing O.W.L. practice papers..."

"Hermione, Mavis," Harry said, through gritted teeth, "will you shut up for a bit, please? I'm trying to concentrate."

Sending Hermione a look, Mavis tried not to laugh at Harry's outburst. Complying to his request, Mavis stared down at the index of Basic Hexes for the Busy and Vexed: instant scalping... but dragons had no hair... pepper breath... that would probably increase a dragon's firepower... horn tongue... just what she needed, to give it an extra weapon...