𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗳𝗼𝘂𝗿.

FINE LINE - THE NOBLE HOUSE OF BLACK

Mavis chased after Hermione, the bushy haired girl giggling as she ran ahead. Despite the rest of the house being dark, the kitchen was scarcely less gloomy than the hall above, a cavernous room with rough stone walls.

Most of the light was coming from a large fire at the far end of the room. A haze of pipe smoke hung in the air like battle fumes, through which loomed the menacing shapes of heavy iron pots and pans hanging from the dark ceiling.

Many chairs had been crammed into the room for the meeting and a long wooden table stood in the middle of them, littered with rolls of parchment, goblets, empty wine bottles, and a heap of what appeared to be rags.

As Mavis chased Hermione around the kitchen, everyone around the table was amused by their actions, but none more than Ginny. As the two sat themselves beside the youngest Weasley, she made her amusement known and, being the observer that she was, also took notice of the way Mavis' hair looked and pointed it out, of course.

"Been struck by lightning?" Ginny questioned teasingly.

"Oh, shush you," Mavis huffed, slumping in her seat. "Blame her," she said, pointing a thumb at Hermione.

"Me?" Hermione exclaimed, quickly turning to Mavis.

"Uh huh," Mavis hummed. "You."

"Well -" Hermione muttered, stumped and unable to come up with an answer.

"Well...?" Ginny teased, looking between the two.

"Oh, go away," Hermione murmured.

Ginny chuckled quietly to herself, watching as Hermione helped Mavis with her hair. After a little while the two had managed to get it under wraps although it still looked a little, shall we say, untamed.

Looking around the room, Mavis spotted that Fred and George had bewitched a large cauldron of stew, an iron flagon of Butterbeer and a heavy wooden breadboard, complete with knife, to hurtle through the air towards them.

The stew skidded the length of the table and came to a halt just before the end, leaving a long black burn on the wooden surface; the flagon of Butterbeer fell with a crash, spilling its contents everywhere; the bread knife slipped off the board and landed, point down and quivering ominously, exactly where Sirius's right hand had been seconds before.

"For heaven's sake," Mrs Weasley screamed. "There was no need - I have had enough of this - just because you're allowed to use magic now, you don't have to whip your wands out for everything!"

"We were just trying to save a bit of time!" Fred said, hurrying forward to wrench the bread knife out of the table. "Sorry, Sirius, mate - didn't mean to -"

Mavis caught her father's eyes and shared an amused look. Though Crookshanks had felt much differently, he had given an angry hiss and shot off under the dresser, from where his large yellow eyes glowed in the darkness.