𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆-𝗳𝗶𝘃𝗲.

FINE LINE - THE YULE BALL

Despite the very heavy load of homework that the fourth years had been given for the holidays, Mavis was in no mood to work when term ended, and spent the week leading up to Christmas enjoying herself as fully as possible along with everyone else.

Snow was falling thickly upon the castle and its grounds now. The pale blue Beauxbatons carriage looked like a large, chilly, frosted pumpkin next to the iced gingerbread house that was Hagrid's cabin, while the Durmstrang ship's portholes were glazed with ice, the rigging white with frost. The house-elves down in the kitchen were outdoing themselves with a series of rich, warming stews and savoury puddings, that nobody seemed to be able to find anything to complain about.

On Christmas Day Mavis woke up with a start, feeling as if a weight had been dropped onto her stomach. Opening her eyes, Mavis glanced down at something with very large, round, blue eyes staring back at her in the darkness.

"Pipsy," Mavis mumbled, looking at the elf who was staring back at her.

"Pipsy is sorry, Maevey," the elf squeaked anxiously, stumbling her way off Mavis' bed. "Pipsy forgets she's clumsy."

"It's alright, Pip," Mavis smiled, sitting up against her headboard.

"Beesy is here too," the other elf said, causing Mavis to jump out of her skin.

"Merlin!" Mavis exclaimed, holding a hand over her heart.

"Sorry, Maevey," Beesy apologised hurriedly.

"It's okay, maybe cough or something next time," Mavis said, still breathing rather faster than usual, while her heart rate returned to normal.

"We came to wish Maevey a merry Christmas," Pipsy said happily.

"Thanks you two," Mavis said softly, "a very merry Christmas to you both as well."

Looking up from the two elves, Mavis' yell had awoken Hermione, Lavender and Parvati. All of them were peering through the gaps in their own hangings, heavy eyed and tousle haired.

"Someone attacking you, Maeve?" Hermione asked sleepily.

"No, it's just Pipsy and Beesy," Mavis muttered. "Go back to sleep."

"It's alright, I'm awake now," Hermione said, getting up and making her way over to Mavis' bed. "Budge up."

Doing as told, Mavis moved to the edge of her bed so Hermione had room and the bushy haired girl sat herself beside Mavis.