𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝘁𝘄𝗼.

FINE LINE - DANCING IN THE RAIN

Mavis thought it was safe to say that she had the worst summer yet. She had spent the whole time locked away in her room, unable to leave the house.

Sure, the start to her holidays had been great. She hung out with her father, she sent letters back and forth with Hermione and she'd spent time with Nymphadora but one day it all stopped.

That day happened to be the day when she moved into Grimmauld Place.

Despite being in the same house as her father, Mavis hardly saw him - something about meetings. Letters between Hermione had stopped, the bushy haired girl no longer replying or when she did it would be short sentences. Nymphadora had stopped spending time with Mavis, too focused on Auror training.

The hottest day of summer so far was reaching the afternoon and a drowsy silence lay over the houses. Cars that were usually gleaming stood dusty in their drives and lawns that were once emerald green lay parched and yellowing.

Everyone had retreated into the shade of their cool houses, windows thrown wide in the hope of tempting in a non-existent breeze. Yet, the only person who actually wanted to be outside, was currently sitting at her desk looking out the window.

Mavis felt a dull, sinking sensation in her stomach. Tomorrow morning she would be woken by her alarm at five o'clock so she could pay the owl that delivered the Daily Prophet. Although there wasn't much point in continuing to take it as Mavis merely glanced at the front page before throwing it aside.

The young Black spent most of her summer wondering what her friends were busy with, and why she wasn't busy. Had they forgotten what had happened? Had they forgotten that it had been Mavis who had entered that graveyard and watched Cedric being murdered and been tortured by Death Eaters?

'Don't think about that,' Mavis told herself for what seemed to be the hundredth time that summer.

As Mavis blinked, ridding herself of the thoughts of what happened at the graveyard, she stood up abruptly and decided that she was going out. Mavis quietly opened her bedroom door and looked down the hallway. After seeing no one was there, Mavis crept down the stairs.

The sound of people chatting in the kitchen made Mavis stop at the bottom of the stairs with a wince. Tiptoeing her way to the front door, Mavis quickly put on her shoes and opened the door as quietly as possible.

Hot air immediately greeted Mavis as she stood outside, humid enough to already cause a sweat. Mavis gently closed the door and made a run for it, jumping down the stairs before running down the street.

Mavis didn't know where she was going and with her elongated walk, she somehow ended up at the train station. Mavis shoved her hands into her jean pockets, fishing for any money that she could find.