Chapter 2: The Discovery

+++++

Japan disappeared! But, where are they now?

+++++

•• Unknown, 900km southwest of Okinawa ••

Clear skies, good weather. Off the airspace of Japan, a beast of steel flew proudly, its wings spread as its shadow painted itself over the surface of the vast sea, although this time, it's not the Pacific Ocean or Formosa Strait they're flying to, but rather, an uncharted territory - the unknown sea.

Inside the fuselage of the Kawasaki P-3C Orion maritime patrol aircraft, radar and comms personnel worked tirelessly, screens flashing with constant data feed from other flying aircrafts in the vicinity and radar panels displaying the entire view of the surrounding area, trying to detect any object except friendlies. The P-3C is a maritime patrol aircraft, capable of dealing with submarines and surface vessels. Especially for the case of Japan, they upgraded their P-3Cs to carry their locally-produced anti-ship missiles.

"Saw any piece of land yet?", one asked, sitting just behind the pilot seat. "Nahh, not yet. This is weird, we should have been detecting a lot of sea traffic, but there's none.", the pilot replied, with the low humming of the counter-rotating engines filling the background. "We seem to lost contact to everyone outside the country", the co-pilot, Takebayashi, slumped into his seat, sighing. "I heard that the Korean Peninsula disappeared, wonder why..."

"Bombed to oblivion by the Chinese, I guess?" The pilot, Kikuchi, laughed. Just some hours after midnight, Japan lost all contact to their embassies overseas, just like the other embassies that lost contacts to their home country. It sparked an internal panic to which Japan responded with sending aircraft to patrol, fearing that it might be a Russian or a Chinese attack, or even a North Korean missile strike.

But it turns out, it is a far more grueling situation.

Long-range patrol aircrafts deviated from their course and found out that the Korean Peninsula disappeared, only discovering small islands unknown before and uncharted by modern maps. Planes from Northern Japan and Hokkaido weren't even intercepted by Russian fighter aircrafts in the Yellow Sea. The same happened in the Senkaku Islands where the presence of Chinese J-15s were nowhere to be found. Usually, interceptions are likely to happen, but now, not even the island of Taiwan is to be sighted. The P-3 continued to its planned course, scanning over a large area.

As they continued their flight path, a patch of a coastline appeared into the horizon. "Land!", the pilot exclaimed. With that, the comms operator utilized his equipment to contact any Taiwanese airport and bases, but to no avail. Kikuchi squinted, keenly staring at the coastline. "It doesn't look like Taiwan... hell, we're not even in Formosa to begin with!", he stressed. The more they fly inland, the weirder it gets. There are no modern buildings or communities, only medieval-esque villages. His co-pilot rubbed his eyes, also squinting. "What the hell, this is not Taiwan!".

"Radar contact bearing 0-8-0, 60 clicks from our current position!", the radar operator reported through his mouthpiece, causing the other personnel to deviate to the radar display. There, a small beeping dot can be seen, disappearing and appearing with every scan. "Huh, how the hell did it get that close?", confused, one of the technicians questioned. "I don't know, but it's possessing a weak radar signature...", one of them replied. Due to that, the plane roared its engines into full power before climbing to 3,000 meters, creating a loud hum into the airspace.

The radar contact appeared and disappeared as if it's trying to avoid detection. Eventually, the contact came close, with enough distance just for the naked eye to see. "Is that-"

•• Maihark, Qua-Toyne ••

The bright morning sun brushed the lush green flora that surrounded the large port city of Maihark. Bustling inside the city is life within its bounds. Despite the recent border conflicts and skirmishes with the bordering human kingdom of Louria, commerce and trade goes on. With such a large agricultural capability, they are able to support themselves within the continent of Rodenius.