i v

Early the next afternoon, all of the tributes were rounded up and put in yet another truck. It looked the same as the one from the day prior. Ophelia linked her arm through Marcus's, holding onto him tightly. They only separated when it was time to leave the vehicle and their wrists were chained together once more.

Ophelia was nervous. She didn't know where she was going. Sejanus had told her they would have an interview before the Games, so clearly they weren't heading to the arena, but it didn't alleviate Ophelia's anxiety.

Peacekeepers escorted the tributes into a large building, the sign across the top of the entrance reading 'the Academy.' Ophelia assumed it was where Sejanus went to school. As they walked through the main entrance, younger students stopped where they were walking to watch the procession. They whispered to each other and pointed. Ophelia hung her head so they wouldn't notice her.

One of the Peacekeepers led Ophelia to a table with a small sign labelled with 2G. Marcus sat on one side of her, Facet from District One on the other. Ophelia was handcuffed to the table. The action was pointless, there was no chance Ophelia would try to escape from this building.

Once all of the tributes were settled at their respective tables, the mentors arrived. They had been waiting on a balcony overlooking the large hall, but now joined the tributes.

Ophelia found herself smiling broadly at Sejanus as he approached her.

"Hey, Phee," he said gently. "How are you?"

"I'm alright," said Ophelia.

"You're at a loss for words," said Sejanus. "Are you sure everything's alright?" He frowned as he noticed the chains circling Ophelia's wrists. "I'm sorry, Phee. Of course, you're not alright. And that's okay. You shouldn't have to be."

Sejanus rested his hand on the table between them, palm up. Ophelia rested hers on top of it. His hand was larger than hers, and much softer. She observed the polish adorning her fingernails. Over the last few days of fidgeting, it was chipped and cracked now, the skin around her nails red and raw. She pulled her hand away, embarrassed at how ungroomed she looked.

"Are you hungry?" asked Sejanus. "I brought lunch."

Ophelia's stomach growled in response. She blushed as Sejanus laughed softly. He reached into his rucksack and removed a container of sandwiches. He offered that and a bag of cookies to Ophelia.

She accepted both gratefully and began to eat. Halfway through her first sandwich, she cursed herself for her poor manners.

"Do you want some?" she asked.

"I'll be fine," said Sejanus. "Have as much as you need."

Ophelia smiled and continued to eat.

"We don't have much time, so let's make this quick," said Sejanus. He removed a stack of papers and some pencils from his bag, placing them on the table. "I have a few questions for you. In previous years, the Capitol hasn't had adequate records from tributes, so we're working to fix that. Is that alright?"

Ophelia nodded. Sejanus removed one sheet of paper from the stack and handed the rest to her.

"What is this for?" she asked.

"You still make art, right?" he asked. Ophelia nodded once more. "If you want to draw while we talk, be my guest."

Ophelia grinned and pulled the paper closer to her. She grabbed one of the pencils and got to work, sketching a rough portrait of Sejanus as he asked her questions.

He worked through the first section without confiding in her. Ophelia was glad to know he still remembered her well enough to know some of the answers to the questions.