x v

Ophelia awoke on the fourth day of the Games. The morning after her run-in with Sejanus, she ventured back to the press box. It kept her out of the sun and every once in a while, she was able to look out of the dusty, cracked window to see what was happening in the arena. During the day, she missed the tunnels. They had been cool and damp, with the press box being the opposite. Even with the water Sejanus sent her a few times per day, Ophelia's lips were dry and cracked. She couldn't even imagine how Lamina must have felt on top of the beam. At least she wasn't suffering anymore.

Seven tributes had died since they entered the arena. Ophelia knew about Marcus. On the morning of the second day, she discovered Dill and Bobbin had passed. Ophelia wondered how the boy had died, but she assumed someone from Coral's group had done it. Sol and Jessup died on the second day. Ophelia hadn't seen either, but she knew Sol's death had occurred very close to her. She had heard Coral's voice giving orders to Mizzen and Coral. Ophelia had hidden under the desk of the press box, hoping no one would notice the unlocked door and discover her. Thankfully, she had stayed safe. Yesterday was the hardest day. Ophelia had been brave enough to watch the events occur.

Coral, Tanner, and Mizzen had decided to take out Lamina. Ophelia wished she could help, but selfishly, she didn't want to put herself in danger. So instead, she watched helplessly as Mizzen and Coral climbed up the poles and teamed up to take her down. Ophelia found herself shedding tears for the younger girl, though they had interacted only a few times. She had been kind to Ophelia, and incredibly brave. When the District Four tributes slid down the pole and reconvened on the ground, they both killed Tanner. That had surprised Ophelia. They were allies, she hadn't anticipated them betraying him. Ophelia was relieved to see Treech emerging from the tunnels to pay his respects to Lamina. He left with her axe, which made Ophelia feel better. She didn't like that he had been in the tunnels for three days without a way to defend himself. She knew she shouldn't care, but she had a soft spot for the young man.

If Ophelia's calculations were correct, there were only ten tributes left in the arena.

Sejanus had been regularly giving Ophelia food and water, which was greatly appreciated. She was glad they had figured out some way to make up while he was in the arena. She hoped he was alright. She didn't know what she would do if he had gotten injured in any way. At least she knew he was well enough to send her gifts from her sponsors.

Ophelia got up and looked out of the window, scanning the arena for any threats. She'd been careful when leaving the press box, making sure no one could be made aware of her hiding place. She'd had a few close calls with Reaper, and she didn't want to have one more. Ophelia sat on the steps near the press box and patiently waited for a drone to arrive.

When one finally flew towards her, carrying a bread roll and an apple, Ophelia removed a roll from yesterday and ate it, carefully pulling off pieces. She'd been making sure to save food until the next time she was able to eat, just in case she died before then. There was no one left in the arena who knew about the District Two traditions, so she had to take matters into her own hands. She wouldn't let Sejanus risk his life in the arena again for her.

Ophelia tipped her head back and closed her eyes, letting the morning sun warm her face. It was quiet in the arena, as it was most mornings, but it felt almost peaceful today. Like the calm before the storm.

...

Sejnaus winced as Doctor Gaul poked and prodded at his injured leg, examining each stitch to make sure they were still intact. Coriolanus was sitting in a chair next to him, waiting for Gaul to check on his shoulder.

"Tell me, did you know Gaius Breen?" asked Doctor Gaul. Did. Not do.

"Did we?" asked Coriolanus, picking up on the use of the past tense as well.