x v i

Back in the arena, Ophelia was finally able to catch her breath. Below her and Treech, snakes churned menacingly. Ophelia found it odd how more seemed to be gathering below her than the boy sitting next to her.

Treech poked at the decapitated snake between the pair. He used the flat end of his axe to push the body off the ledge, watching as it fell into the writhing mass below.

Ophelia moved closer to the young man and crossed her legs. Even if the snakes couldn't climb, she didn't want them anywhere near her feet. The snake that had climbed her leg had been cold to the touch, constricting her skin beneath its scales. But it hadn't bitten her. She knew they could bite, she'd just seen them take down both Circ and Coral. Yet somehow, they had spared her. Ophelia told herself that she had just gotten lucky.

"Are you alright?" asked Treech.

Ophelia nodded. "Thank you for helping me," she said.

"That's what friends are for," he said.

Ophelia beamed at the boy. She wasn't in the arena to make friends, but it was good to know she had one. It made everything a little bit easier. She wished they could both go home. Oh well, maybe they could be friends in the afterlife.

Ophelia almost responded, but something caught her attention. It was some sort of humming. But not a mechanical noise. A human voice. Ophelia moved closer to Treech, grabbing his hand. The two watched as Lucy Gray emerged from the tunnels, snakes surrounding her. The rainbow creatures flocked from all areas of the arena, slithering towards her. The serpents below the scoreboard seemed conflicted between staying and joining their brethren. Eventually, they dispersed, flocking to the girl in the rainbow dress. A few stayed behind, hissing and flicking their forked tongues.

It seemed Ophelia and Treech were out of immediate danger, but Ophelia continued to hold onto the boy's hand, squeezing it tightly.

"What's going on?" asked Treech. "How haven't they killed her? How did they not kill you?"

"Shh," whispered Ophelia.

Below them, Lucy Gray's song developed from humming to one with lyrics.

Ophelia watched in both fascination and horror as the snakes circled up Lucy Gray's body, seemingly infatuated by the girl's voice. When the song was over, Opjhelia assumed Lucy Gray had given up, ready to die. But the snakes didn't bite her. Lucy Gray hummed to the snakes as if they were infant children, keeping them calm as they undulated around her.

"Is it over?" asked Ophelia.

"I think so," said Treech.

Ophelia let go of Treech's hand and prepared to climb down from the scoreboard.

"What are you doing?" asked Treech.

Ophelia shrugged. "I think it's safe enough to find somewhere else to go."

"You can stay," says Treech. "I think we can make a truce for one night."

"Are you sure?" she asked.

"Of course," said Treech.

"Tomorrow, we're on our own, then," said Ophelia.

"Fine."

The two shook hands to solidify their pact.

Clouds rolled in after a while, forming a beautiful sunset. Ophelia found herself smiling at all of the colors and patterns in the sky. She wished she could paint them, but even if she could, there was no way she could do them justice.

The clouds gave way to a thunderstorm, drowning the arena in darkness and rain. It was freezing cold, so Ophelia and Treech sat close together to keep warm. Treech wrapped his jacket around Ophelia's shoulders, but after it soaked through, it no longer provided warmth.