Chapter 36 - Family

Double update 👀
_______________________________

The hospital room was cloaked in a heavy silence, broken only by the rhythmic hum of medical equipment. Jungkook stood at the threshold, his eyes fixed on the still figure lying on the hospital bed – Taehyung. The sterile scent of disinfectant filled the air, a constant reminder of the battle Taehyung was fighting for his life.

The events of the past few days had taken a toll on Jungkook. The revelation about Soohee's involvement in Taehyung's accident had ignited a fire within him, a fire fueled by anger and determination. Yet, the flames were now smoldering, replaced by a torrent of guilt and self-blame.

Jungkook took a hesitant step into the room, his gaze never leaving Taehyung. The bandages on Taehyung's face and the array of medical devices connected to him painted a stark picture of the struggle for survival. The guilt that clawed at Jungkook's chest tightened its grip as he approached the bed.

His hand trembled slightly as he reached for Taehyung's, the warmth of their intertwined fingers offering a fragile connection in the face of uncertainty. Jungkook's eyes, usually a well of strength, now reflected vulnerability as he gazed at the man he loved.

"I'm so sorry, Taehyung," Jungkook whispered, his voice barely audible in the quiet room. He traced the outline of Taehyung's hand, the touch a silent plea for forgiveness. "I never meant for any of this to happen. If I had known..."

The words caught in his throat, choked by the weight of the guilt he carried. Jungkook lowered himself onto the chair beside the bed, never breaking contact with Taehyung's hand. The silence between them became a poignant conversation, unspoken words lingering in the air.

"I should have protected you," Jungkook continued, his voice breaking with emotion. "I should have been more careful, more aware. I failed you, and I can't forgive myself for that."

The room, once a sanctuary for shared laughter and whispered promises, now bore witness to the anguish of a soul grappling with remorse. Jungkook's eyes, usually filled with determination, were now clouded with tears as he stared at Taehyung's closed eyes.

The guilt weighed on him, an anchor dragging him into the depths of self-condemnation. He felt the heaviness in every breath, the burden of responsibility pressing on his shoulders. The knowledge that he, in some way, contributed to Taehyung's suffering gnawed at his conscience.

As Jungkook bowed his head, a lone tear slipped from his eye, landing on the back of Taehyung's hand. The vulnerability he usually kept hidden from the world now surfaced, exposed by the gravity of the situation. He had to confront the fact that, in trying to protect Taehyung, he might have inadvertently placed him in harm's way.

"I love you, Taehyung," Jungkook confessed, the words carrying the weight of his emotions. "I'll do whatever it takes to make this right. Please, wake up. I need you to wake up."

The room remained silent, as if holding its breath in anticipation. Jungkook's grip on Taehyung's hand tightened, seeking solace in the tangible connection. He closed his eyes, a silent prayer escaping his lips, hoping against hope that Taehyung would hear him, even in the realm of unconsciousness.

Hours passed, the minutes stretching into an indeterminate span of time as Jungkook stayed by Taehyung's side. The hospital room, once a battleground of uncertainty, now became a refuge for shared pain and silent apologies.

When the door creaked open, breaking the stillness, Jungkook looked up with tear-stained eyes. It was Jin, his face etched with concern and empathy. Jin approached Jungkook, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder.