Chapter 3

◈⋙◇◈◇⋘◈

Scarlett's POV

◈⋙◇◈◇⋘◈

"This is just crazy." Lucien continues to chuckle in disbelief as he sips on his breakfast tea in the Town House kitchen.

"I know." I grin ear to ear, unable to hide my joy from seeing him after so many years. "I wanted to tell you so many times, but Jora advised against it."

"I understand why you didn't." He shifts from leaning on the counter to wrapping an arm around my shoulder. "I've always thought of you and Poppy as family... now it's just official."

Nodding my head, I shift my weight to lean against him. "I'm so glad you're here... that you're safe." I feel my heart break as I think of everything he's been through. "I'm so sorry for what happened with Jesminda... I'm sorry I wasn't there to stop it..."

"It was a long time ago." His voice wavers as he removes his hand from my shoulder.

I feel my power threaten to leak out as I think of how I found out about Lucien's love being brutally killed and he hunted... Poppy had just moved into her Spymaster title and we were working our way through the other courts to establish connections... It felt like Hazel all over again when I heard what happened.... Pushing past my dark thoughts, I bring the conversation back to him. "I was so relieved when Eris confirmed he notified Tamlin to get you out of there."

"What?" His face contorts with a confused expression as his golden eye shifts. "Eris was the one who told Tamlin?"

"Yes. You're his little brother, Lucien... as much as you may wish to think it, Eris does not want you dead."

He scoffs, clearly unconvinced of my comment. "Didn't seem to have that mindset for the two brothers who were killed when I flead to Spring."

"Unfortunate deaths." I mumble, thinking of my two lost uncles. Eris knew of my relationship with his two youngest brothers... knew Poppys relationship with them too... He'd protect them over his other siblings easily. "But if I am being honest, you and Ini have always been my priorities... my favorite uncles." I grin, trying to add some light humor.

"Well that isn't surprising." He looks at me with a softer expression. "I am clearly the best male in the family."

Chuckling, I just nod my head along. "Of course you are, Lulu."

"Oh, Mother." He groans, moving to take a seat at the small table in the room. "Don't you dare start with that name again."

"You used to love it!"

"When I was six." Nudging his arm, I swallow my laughter as I join him at the table."I only came up for the party last night..." His tone shifts back to being serious. "But, now that I know you and Pops are here, I'll try to make sure to come back and visit more often... right now it's a bit tense in the mortal lands, but I'll at least make sure to come up for the dinners."

"Dinners?"

"The inner circle dinners they have each week."

"Oh." I shrug. "I'm not invited to those... You're a member of this court, Lu, I'm just a well monitored 'guest.' Don't think you'll be seeing me there."

"I'll talk to Feyre about inviting you." He insists, grabbing my hand over the table. Looking at him, I can't help my smile as I think of the wonderful male he has become. "What?"

"Just thinking about how proud I am of you."

"Oh shut up." He groans, rolling his eyes. "I've had to flee from two courts and have a mate who barely speaks to me... I think proud is the farthest word you should use."