Chapter 4

◈⋙◇◈◇⋘◈

Scarlett's POV

◈⋙◇◈◇⋘◈

"Simple enough, yes?" Rhysand asks, clearly studying my face for any hint of doubt.

"Yes." I confirm. A straightforward mission... and a nice excuse to get some time to myself for a few days.

"Perfect." He offers his signature charming smile before walking around his office desk. "Az will meet you at the front door and you'll go together from there."

"I don't need the Shadowsinger to join." I confidently state. "A recon mission like this is quite simple and does not require two-"

"He will be joining you." The High Lord cuts me off. His words an order, even though I am technically not a member of his Court. Still doesn't trust me.

"Very well." I bow my head respectfully. "Thank you for the opportunity to be useful within your Court." Not waiting for him to add on anything else, I leave his office quickly making my way through the unfamiliar halls of their River House. "Azriel." I greet the winged male standing quietly by the door dressed in his Illyrian leathers, blue siphons shimmering under the home's fae lights. "Ready?"

Giving only a quick nod in acknowledgement, we walk outside past the wards before darkness swallows us. Goosebumps pepper my skin as the darkness leaves but the shadows remain moving under the leathers of my clothes as we arrive within a thick forest.

A violently cold wind blows through the trees and I thank the Mother for the fire that runs through my veins. Releasing a little magic, I create a warm bumble that extends over myself and the Shadowsinger who gives me an odd look as soon as the heat encompasses him.

"Where are we?" I ask, keeping my voice low.

"Just above Winter."

"We're in The Middle." I state mostly for myself as I glance around the dark forest. "Rhysand only said the town was on Winter's border, didn't specify which one." I wish it was Autumn... just a few moments to view my home would have been refreshing.

"The cold from being this close to Winter should deter any of the creatures here from coming too close."

I hold back a chuckle at the comment. "I have no concerns over the creatures in The Middle. Now let's go." I start walking in the direction the snow is blowing in from.

Twenty minutes into our trek and I nearly forget the Shadowsinger is walking behind me. His footsteps are nearly silent under him while mine softly crunch the snow below my feet. So beautiful here... My thoughts drift as I study the snow coating the branches of the trees above us.

Pausing my steps as we come to a clearing in the forest, the border between Winter and The Middle is clear as day. The thick forest trees stop abruptly, cut off by a frozen river then miles of ice covered mountains.

"The village should be about two miles east, just across the river."

"Sticking to the forest line for coverage?"

Nodding silently, the Shadowsinger moves in front as he stays within the trees parallel to the frozen water. Looking back towards the thick forest my mind wanders to the mysteries The Middle holds... ancient creatures... lost magic... no place anyone wants to find themselves in... well unless you're a sweetheart who can speak to and get along with any creature.

"Were you Under the Mountain?" I ask, thinking about how I don't recall the Shadowsinger ever being mentioned when reports of what occurred under Amarantha's rule were drawn up in Autumn.