Chapter 24 (Janie): The Other Girls

Copyright © 2024 by GroveltoHEA

"So," I said to Nico on our way over to his and Cosi's house. Well, his, Cosi and fucking Desti's house. "Tell me about your wife. Anything I should know about her before I meet her?"

Nico, like Lucio and Santo, didn't talk much to women who weren't married or related to him, so I knew he didn't want to endure a Q & A with me for even the ten minutes it took to get to their house.

"What do you want to know?" he finally asked.

Why you have divorce papers in your safe. Did you lie to Lucio about fucking Desti?

Although, to be fair even though I didn't want to be since Nico was on my shit list, which was just below my needs-to-go-for-a-ride-and-dig-his-own-grave-soon list, I don't think he would lie to Lucio and Santo, and not because he feared them but because they were friends and he wouldn't betray that trust. It could get him severely demoted at best or severely dead at worst.

"What's she like?"

"Costanza's good."

You fucker! She's a lot more than good. I could see this asshole needed leading questions.

"OK, let's start with some simple questions and work our way up to the more difficult questions about your wife."

No reaction. The perfect Body bodyguard.

"And let me know if I need to repeat the big words, Nico," I poked at him.

No reaction.

"Let's start at the top. Does she have hair?"

That actually got an irritated sigh. "Seriously?"

"Color?"

"You'll see when you meet her."

Why couldn't he answer a simple hair color question? Was it a heavily guarded secret? The answer was dark brown with lighter highlights.

"What do you like about her?"

Those giant shoulder shrugged. "Everything."

Vague, dude.

"What does she do?"

"She doesn't work."

"You won't let her?"

"She can do whatever she wants." Definitely irritated.

Except leave the house without your girlfriend in tow.

"What does she like to do for fun?"

"Talk to people."

Damn straight she does! She's gathering gossip and intelligence for us.

Fortunately, he pulled into the driveway and stopped after he pulled up in front of the house. As I was pulling some of the bags out of the trunk, my ever-present guards from the other car were grabbing the ones I couldn't carry. Since I was at the back of the car, I had an excellent view of some brunette running out of the house straight toward the mountain that was Nico.

Although, mountains might be better conversationalists. That shit had been painful on the way over here.

I found myself reaching for Old Butterball and if that bitch hugged him, I was going to have to go with the old oops! defense. Lucio wouldn't let me go to jail anyway.

Fortunately, fucking Desti stopped just short of Nico and he made no move to touch her, so I sashayed over to the couple as if I didn't have a care in the world and introduced myself. Desti was short, not much taller than I was in fact, but where I was lacking in curves, Desti had more than her share and mine.