November 10, 1893 (Augustus Wheeler's Diary)

November 10, 1893

8:31 A.M. Something is not quite good in here. It is not about the place, it is more about something which I don't know, yet. Not frightening, but astonishing. I am writing about it more clearly. Yesterday, I had to stay the whole day in Leordina, as the only path towards the outskirts of the village was blocked due to heavy snowfall. Travelling through it was not possible until the snow was cleared. So I thought if I had to stay here at all costs, it would be better if I roam around a little bit, exploring the village. Hopefully, got to know that there wasn't much snow accumulation, so the workers can clear it within the day itself.

Had savory pastries with scrambled eggs for breakfast. Has to be mentioned that Romanian people have a really good taste when it comes to different food items. (Mem., get recipe for Julia.) Having spent some time in the hotel room, studying the map of Ravenrose which Kingsley sent with the letter, a strange fact struck me. All the other maps featuring this side of Europe, clearly does not show Ravenrose or the path towards it. Yes, I have studied some other maps, mostly which are easily available to anyone, but I haven't found a single one which shows Ravenrose. There is nothing mentioned about it, not even the name. As if there no such place exists. Felt very astonished. Does this place even exist? If yes, then why is it not included in any map? And from where did Kingsley got such a map, which is probably the only one containing that place? Thought about it for a some time. Went to the lobby to ask the hotel manager about it. The Grand Carpathian's manager was a polite gentleman. His age might be somewhere between 50 to 55. The eldest member of the staff. Thought he might be an old citizen of this place, so he could know about it better than anyone else. But to my astonishment, it looked like my question surprised him. 'Does such a place really exist?', I asked. With a doubtful yet anxious look, he asked me back that why am I asking this. I said that I'll be heading for it the next morning, so I needed an answer to my question before that. Felt relief when he nodded his head up and down. Showed him the general maps and asked about the absence of Ravenrose in them. At first he was reluctant to reply, I could see that in his eyes. Seemed as if he was afraid of something. Wanted to show him the map given by Kingsley, but seeing his reactions, I refrained from doing so. But I wanted an answer, so I politely repeated my doubt. And yes, this time he answered me. 'An old and remote village it is, sir. Not many people know about it. Maybe that is why the map makers did not include it. Forgive me sir, but I do not know anything more than this.' To be honest, I was not very much satisfied with his reply. For a moment it felt as if he was hiding something from me. But what more could I do. So I thanked him and left for my room. Oh yes, I also noticed something, which I missed at first. There was a plant kept on the separate table in the lobby, and in front of the plant, there was a firm rectangular wooden piece kept, on which it was carved in bold letters, 'Do not touch.' The plant was also kept in a protective glass. Under the yellow lamp light in the lobby, I couldn't quite recognise the plant, just understood this much that it had purple flowers. Suddenly it struck my mind and I remembered that the same plant and the same warning sign I had seen in the room where I was staying. Though it was kept protected and out of reach at a separate corner, it made me very curious. If it was there in the lobby and also in my room, I am sure it would definitely be in the other rooms too. Even if it was kept for decoration, why only the same plant? Why not rose or some other flowers who have a good smell? And if it is kept protected and out of reach, then it means that it is highly toxic. Why keep such poisonous plants inside the hotel? There are a lot of mysteries prevailing here. Thought about asking other staff members about this but maybe, it would be of no use. If the manager was really hiding something, he would also instruct others to do the same. Besides, asking the same question to every other staff member would make me look suspicious. So I decided, after having lunch, I would walk around outside the hotel and find answers to my question.