November 15, 1893 (Augustus Wheeler's Diary) [part 3]

The rain intensified, as the clock struck 9 P.M. There seemed a strange stillness over everything. By this time, my cigar had exhausted. I thought of asking the Lord about his knowledge of my location on the day I arrived at Ravenrose, just when he said, "I did not know of your arrival here. Otherwise, arrangements would have done likewise." This intrigued me more about what happened that day. "Your journey from Budapest to Leordina, and then to Ravenrose. Must have been very hectic." I said, "Oh, it is fine. You need not to worry about it."

While talking to me, he noticed the candles kept in front of the painting of the man in royal attire. Those candles were extinguished. Well, it had to be. The cold wind was blowing abruptly then. While Lord Lazarus was lighting up the candles, I saw a chance to clear my doubt. "I did not inform you about my arrival in Ravenrose. So how did you learn about my whereabouts in front of the lake and those vicious wolves?" Without looking at me, he went on lighting up the candles. There were maybe ten of those. He smiled a bit and answered, "I just happened to be passing by when I saw you from a distance. You should be glad about this." I quickly nodded my head and said, "Oh yes I am. With my whole heart, I am grateful to you for this, Lord Lazarus." Without looking at me, he chuckled. I do not know whether I was satisfied with his reply, but I did not say further on this.

All this time, I observed one thing. The musty smell emanating from Lord Lazarus' cape or body was surprisingly absent. Well, I was quite happy about this, as sitting in the same room along with that musty smell would have been suffocating for me.

I took a deep breath and was looking at the longcase clock. A thought came to my mind and I asked Lord Lazarus, "Sir, have you ever been to England?" He looked at me and smiled. "I know why you are asking this, as I speak English. Isn't it?" Then onwards, I did not doubt that this man was a scholar person. "Well, yes, it is.", I chuckled. The Lord replied, "Books, Mr. Wheeler. A mighty friend of mankind it is." I agreed with him.

It was raining outside, but there was not much noise outside, but as I listened, I heard as if from down below in the valley, the howling of some wolves. I will not lie but their howling scared me. It reminded me of that horrific incident I survived somehow. Hurriedly, I asked Lord Lazarus, "There are wolves down here?" The Lord's eyes gleamed and he said- "Oh, do not feel afraid.  Listen to them- they are the disciples of the night. Quite happy they are!" Seeing, I suppose, some expression on my face strange to him, he added, "Ah, Mr. Wheeler, you dwellers of the city cannot enter into the feelings of the wild."

Disciples? Really? Those beasts are disciples? Those disciples wanted to devour me that day. The Lord has seen it himself and now, he feels happy for their joy. What was this for? I could not understand what he meant. I felt uncomfortable, so to change the topic, I asked him, "Who is that man in the painting?" I don't know if I saw it right or wrong, but the Lord's eyes seemed to widen and glow, as I asked the question. The loud bang of thunder was heard, as Lord Lazarus slowly turned his head, shifting his gaze from the painting towards me. There was no expression on that face. "Do you know about Clanul Vircolaci?" It was the first time I heard the name. I said no. "The history of the Wallachian clan, Transylvanian kings, and the Ottoman Empire?" I nodded my head again. To be honest, I never had a fondness for history. But I thought that this castle or this place might have a bloodied past, which intrigued me in a way. By this time, he lit all the candles. And also, the howling outside the castle stopped. Lord Lazarus sat and leaned back on his chair, and kept his left leg upon his right leg. Then, calmly yet in a deep voice, he said, "Mr. Wheeler, want to hear a story?"

I thought it was a great idea. I would get to know about the castle and maybe, somewhat about Ravenrose. And also, had to be mentioned that, the atmosphere was very much suitable for storytelling. So I said, "Well, it is now past nine, but I am sure that I am not feeling sleepy!" Lord Lazarus smiled, as his protuberant teeth flashed once again.