November 17, 1893 (Duncan Brown's Diary) [continued...]

I do not know whether I am going down the right path or thinking too much for nothing. Things were so simple, yet I felt something did not fit well here, especially after what I learned from the local people. I must not overthink this, if I have decided to investigate it and find out the truth, eventually, I will. I am writing down the details further interrogation with Brother Harmon.

I guessed Brother Harmon knew something important, and he was lying to me about it, and I thought it right. But according to what I deduced within that time, he was not the kind of person who would support crime or a criminal, or be a part of it. Or maybe he wasn't lying but rather hiding the truth, for some reason. So I said, "Sir if you are trying to hide any information or safeguard the suspect regarding the incident, you are causing a hindrance to the investigation and by doing that, you are committing a crime. I suggest you do not go that way."

Brother said, "I am committing a crime? Inspector, I clearly said that I didn't know anything about him. I am least interested in that case, so I never kept any track of it or that person. How can I give you any information which I do not have?"

Took a deep breath and got up towards the newspaper rack. Showing those newspapers, I asked him whether he kept the old newspapers there or someone else. Brother replied, " Yes, I am in charge of keeping the new editions of the newspaper, putting them on the noticeboard, changing them daily, and putting back the old ones on the rack in my office. But why do you keep asking the same question?"

- "Who put up today's newspaper, Mr. Wilbur or you, Brother?"

- "I did."

- "This implies that you replaced yesterday's paper and kept it in your office, not Mr. Wilbur. Although Mr. Wilbur wrote today's quote, which is your task daily."

- "Mr. Wilbur only put up the quote, and not the newspaper. Inspector, would you kindly tell me how the noticeboard and the newspaper are relevant to your investigation?"

Brother Harmon seemed frustrated with my questions, or should I say irritated.

"Inspector Brown, kindly do not get me wrong, but there are many more problems prevailing in Whitby. It would help if you do not waste your precious time searching for clues in an already solved case.", said Brother Harmon. He was not ready to cooperate, of course not because of any personal feud, but because of something else. And I needed to know what was that 'something else'.

He appeared tense, so I took the water jug from the table and offered him a drink to help him calm down. I glanced out the window as a mildly cool breeze blew throughout the room, and noticed that the morning sunshine had dimmed slightly; almost half an hour had already passed.

"Brother Harmon, I am doing my job. As soon as I get relevant details, I assure you that you will not be bothered again unless needed. Till then, kindly cooperate."

It seemed as if he was not satisfied with what I said. He responded by saying, "According to the news made open to the public, all the evidence that was collected, hinted towards only one conclusion, that Willis is the only responsible person for this. By God's grace, justice will prevail soon."

I sighed and said, "If I may, can I ask you something?" Hesitantly, he affirmed. I asked, "I know that you have known Mr. James Willis for a long time, which is why I chose to meet with you in the first place. But kindly tell me this one thing, if you agree that all the evidence is against Willis, why are you hiding his news from the students or the faculties?"

Maybe at that moment, he did not understand what I meant; he asked me to repeat it firmly. "I am sorry if I am taking too much of your time, but this is a part of the investigation. Sir, if you do not cooperate with me, I cannot further investigate the case. I need your help in this." Immediately, yet in a calming way, he said, "I do not care what happens in the trial or to him. I just want justice for Mr. Kingsley Wood. Inspector Brown, if you may permit, then I shall leave for I have another meeting."