November 15, 1893 (Augustus Wheeler's Diary)

8:22 P.M. Everything was fine for the past few days, until the night yesterday. Something feels unusual now. Since entering Castle Varcolus, I have not seen Lord Lazarus often. Only met him during the daylight once, and then in the evening once again, when he attends me in the room where I am staying. An old man, of pompous etiquette and solemn hospitality. The old age has not truly affected his aura.

The day before yesterday, as I became almost fully fit and fine, the Lord came to see me and said, "You were much unfit the time you arrived. But now as you are fine, I bid you welcome Mr. Wheeler, to our castle." I thanked him for the hospitality he gave me. Could not deny the fact that he saved my life from those beasts that day. Probably the most forgettable moment of my life. "Nay, sir, you are my guest. It is my duty.", he said.

The magnificent dining hall, the long dining table, and the grand carpet underneath, all of them represent high aristocracy. The hanging chandelier emitting somewhat, not so bright yet perfect yellowish light, truly lit the hall in, what I must say, a spooky way. The whole ambience of this place is grand and majestic, yet something feels very off in it. I do not know how to explain it but, the atmosphere feels glorious yet bleak. Could be due to the cold atmosphere. The fireplace near the dining table and above it, the grand portrait of a royal man hanging on the wall, tells a lot about the castle's rich history. Once I was staring at the portrait, when I heard someone say, "What do you see?" I was startled at first. Did not know when Lord Lazarus arrived behind me. "Oh, a king or someone from the royal family?" Lord went in front of the extinguished fireplace, and lit it up. While doing so, he said, "A king? No. Worthy? Yes." I could not apprehend his words. I asked what was he talking about. He did not answer me, rather, after lighting up the fire, he turned towards me and calmly said, "You may sit here as I prepare your supper." Surprised by this, I told him to leave the supper preparation for the workers. "It is late, and the people are not available. Let me see you to your comfort myself.", he said. An astounding man he is. Even though in old age, his deep voice and firm agility at work really impressed me.

Went near the fireplace, to have a closer look of that painting. No, I have not seen the painting anywhere else before, nor met the man himself. Yet, the face, or rather, the eyes, felt familiar. Felt as if, I have seen those eyes somewhere earlier. Those eyes, were painted of course, still it felt real. Too real to be a painting. The royal attire, strong face with beard on the sharp chin along with pointed moustache, with, long and dark hair, and those eyes, staring with rage filled with anguish. Felt so real, like I have seen this man, but not exactly this man. Maybe I have seen this picture or someone similar like this earlier. The candle light made the eyes glow so much that, it looked as if his eyes emitted terror. I wonder what was this person like when he was alive.

I was thinking all of this, when suddenly felt a gust of wind behind me, and heard Lord Lazarus say, "Mr. Wheeler, here, your supper is ready. Be seated." I turned behind, and beneath the chandelier and the candle's somewhat dim light, I saw the table. My supper was already laid out, fine and majestic. But, just a few moments ago, Lord was standing alone and was going to prepare it. How come he brought all the food, kept it and arranged it properly without even making a sound? Or maybe, I was so much involved in my thoughts about the painting that I did not notice him. Yes, it is the reason. My host, who stood on the side on one side of the great fireplace, leaning against the stonework, made a graceful wave of his hand to the table. I went on. But before I sat, I asked the Lord to dine with me. He smiled at me, and said- "I pray you, be seated, and sup how you please. You will, I trust, excuse me that I do not join you, but I have dined already, and I do not sup." I nodded and smiled. The Lord himself came forward and took off the cover of a dish, and I fell to at once on an excellent roast chicken. This with some salad, was my supper. During the time I was eating, the Lord asked me many questions as to my journey, and I told him by degrees all I had experienced, from London to Leordina.

While eating, I looked around the dining hall for a while. Mesmerising it is, yet not charming. As if crafted with pure excellence and dexterity, but not with love. An art crafted without love, can never have a place within the heart. But all of this does not affect my host, maybe because, he is used to this. Well, an atmosphere like this, has been an experience for the first time for me, so, I too liked it in a way. But little did I know, there is much more mystery, and much more left, to surprise me, as, Castle Varcolus has many secrets within itself.