November 12, 1893 (Augustus Wheeler's Diary)

November 12, 1897

9:13 A.M. I could not write for the last two days. Wasn't feeling well. Yesterday, I rested almost the entire day. The incidents I have been experiencing for the last couple of days started to make me believe that Ravenrose is not like any normal village. Writing about it clearly. After leaving the Grand Carpathian, didn't had to wait much long for the coachman. The coach was on time. The coachman came up to me and holding the handle of the carriage door he asked, "Sir, are you Mr. Wheeler?" Felt strange that he was fluent in English. Good for me! I affirmed with a smile. Got up and sat comfortably. There began my journey towards Ravenrose.

I was leaving behind the beautiful landscape with snow covered trees and cottages, and a curious experience. The sound of the horse carriage and the snowy winds, were so refreshing for me. At that time, I made up my mind that after I complete my work here, I surely would bring Julia here. The magnificence of this place has left an imprint on my mind within a day. I was engrossed in all such thoughts when I was interrupted by the coachman's interrogation. "Sir, are you new to this place?" I said yes. "So, what do you feel about Leordina, sir?", he asked. I smiled and said, "Beautiful!" He sped up the carriage, I understood he felt happy. Took a deep breath and watched outside the window. Beyond the snowy hills of Madenvaley rose mighty slopes of forest up to lofty steeps of the mountains. Observed the sun slowly get covered by the rainy clouds. Understood that it would rain again. The road became bleaker as we moved further. The carriage was moving very fast now, and so it felt shaky. Every now and then the horses seemed to throw up their heads and sniffed the air suspiciously. I understood that we were now travelling alone, no locality around, just the forest. It was not a problem though. As we moved further, I exchanged a few more words with him. Got to know his name was Jeremy Wood. "When did you come here, sir?", he asked. "Yesterday morning.", I replied. So he went on to ask why am I leaving so soon. Told him that it is not a vacation, rather a business trip. We had a good conversation there. I liked the fact that how frank he was with the strangers. Almost half an hour passed like this and we stopped on the path where, in front, there was a path that lead to dense forest, and another one went downwards. I knew that this path would lead me to Ravenrose. Thanks to the old man I met the before, who gave me the information. "Sir, if you don't mind, may I ask your destination? Because this path does not lead anywhere. It is the end of the town.", he asked. Without answering him, I counter questioned him, "Jeremy, can you tell me why the villagers fear Ravenrose?" Immediately, in a shaky voice he replied, "Why do you ask, sir?" I told him that I would be going there and I know the path, so I would like to drive through that road. He made all sorts of excuses, and frequently crossed himself as he spoke. This somewhat piqued my curiosity, so I asked him various questions. He answered reluctantly, and repeatedly looked at his watch in protest.

"Well, Jeremy, I want to go down this road. I shall not ask you to come unless you like; but tell me why you do not like to go, that is all I ask." For answer he seemed to throw himself off the box, so quickly did he reach the ground. Then he stretched out his hands appealingly to me, and implored me not to go. He seemed always just about to tell me something - the very idea of which evidently frightened him, but each time he pulled himself up. I tried to argue with him, but it was difficult to argue with a man who is scared. Suddenly horses became restless and sniffed the air. At this Jeremy grew very pale and, looking around in a frightened way, he suddenly jumped forward, took them by the bridles and moved back somewhat twenty feet. I followed, and asked why he had done this. For answer he crossed himself, pointed to the spot we had left and drew his carriage in the opposite direction of the road. He was about to say something just when, the horses got very restless, and it took Jeremy all his time to quiet them. Suddenly we heard a howl, from somewhere far, from the forest. I understood that the forest is not safe for us, as the wolves live here. Maybe they were the ones who came up near the village the night before. Whilst Jeremy was petting the horses and trying to quiet them, dark clouds drifted rapidly across the sky. The sunshine passed away, and a breath of cold wind seemed to drift past us. He looked at the sky once, and then looked at his watch. Straightway holding his reins firmly - the horses were still pawing the ground restlessly and shaking their heads - he climbed to his box as though though the time had come for us to leave the place.

I felt a little obstinate and did not at once get into the carriage." I understand the forest is unsafe. But then take me through the other road, which leads to the lake."

Again he crossed himself and mumbled a prayer, before he answered: "It is unholy."

"What is unholy?", I asked. He pointed downwards, to the other path. "Why? What happened there?", I asked him. At first he remained silent, but I repeated my question again, this time, a bit firmly. "No one lives beyond the lake." I was astonished. What is happening? Some say there is a village, some say there is no one. What is going on here? I asked him, "But the people I met yesterday, they said there is a village beyond the lake." He nodded his head up and down. "Yes, there is. But no one lives there now. He devoured all of them."

"Who? The Midnighter?", I asked. On hearing the name, it seemed as if his fearful imagination had got hold of him, and he ended in a perfect paroxysm of fear - white-faced, perspiring, trembling and looking round him, as if expecting that some dreadful presence would manifest itself there in front of him. Finally, in an agony of desperation, he cried, "Sir, please, let's go back. Don't go there!", and pointed to the carriage for me to get in. I firmly said, "Jeremy, you are afraid. Go back. The wolves won't come out in the daylight, at least not this far. I shall walk alone from here onwards. Don't worry, it won't be a problem." The carriage door was open, I took my bag and my hat, and closed the door. Before proceeding towards the path, I said, "Go back, Jeremy - the Midnighter doesn't concern Englishmen."

The horses were now more restive than ever, and Jeremy was trying to hold them in, while excitedly imploring me not to do proceed alone.

With a despairing gesture, Jeremy turned his horses towards Leordina. He went slowly along the road for a while, and then, another howl was heard, far away inside the forest. Now the horses began to jump and kick about, then to scream with terror. Jeremy could not hold them in; they bolted down the road, running away madly. I watched them as they went out of my sight.